Score: Western Illinois 82 – Oral Roberts 56
Record: WIU (11-11, 2-7) – ORU (9-17, 3-6)
Location: Macomb, Ill. (Western Hall)
MACOMB, Ill. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team could not get anything going Saturday as the Golden Eagles fell 82-56 on the road at Western Illinois.
WIU got 25 points from Dalan Ancrum and 21 points from Kobe Webster in the win.
ORU connected on just 33 percent from the field while Western Illinois hit better than 50 percent of their shots, including a mark of 56.5 percent in the second half.
Quote of the Game
"They played a lot of one-on-one basketball and we weren't able to guard them. No matter what level of basketball you play, you have to be able to defend one-on-one and unfortunately we weren't able to do that today." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
Down six early, Nzekwesi hit a 3-pointer for ORU to cut the deficit in half but Western Illinois responded with an 11-0 run and ORU never threatened to take the lead again.
Oral Roberts: Kearns was ORU's lone double digit scorer with 12 points. Fuqua had four of ORU's eight assists and White grabbed 11 of the 32 rebounds for the Golden Eagles.
Western Illinois: Ancrum scored 25 points while Gilbeck grabbed eight rebounds and had four blocks.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot just 33 percent (21-62) from the field and 5-15 from 3-point range, while connecting on 9-13 from the free throw line.
- WIU hit 52 percent (29-55) from the field and was 7-18 from beyond the arc. The Leathernecks were 17-19 from the free throw line.
- WIU held a 37-32 rebounding advantage and 30-26 edge in points in the paint. ORU's bench out-scored WIU 17-7.
News and Notes
- WIU broke the game open with an 11-0 run in the first half and then the Golden Eagles went without a field goal for the final 5:40 of the first half.
- Kearns extended his streak to 25 straight games with a made 3-pointer.
- ORU was out-rebounded for the third time in Summit League play and has gone 0-3 in those games. The Golden Eagles are now 1-11 on the season when being out-rebounded.
- The 56 points scored by ORU were the fewest since scoring just 48 at Penn State on November 24.
ORU returns home for three straight home games, beginning with North Dakota State on Thursday at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).