Score: South Dakota 85 – Oral Roberts 67
Record: USD (23-6, 10-2) – ORU (10-19, 4-8)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – After dominating the first 20 minutes of the game, the script got flipped at halftime and South Dakota came from behind to beat Oral Roberts 85-67 on senior night at the Mabee Center.
USD shot 75 percent (21-28) in the second half to erase ORU's eight-point halftime lead. ORU led by as many as 11 in the game and held the lead for for more than 20 minutes in the game, including 15 minutes in the first half.
Javan White scored a team high 15 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, including six offensive boards, while Ruder added 13 points and Emmanuel Nzekwesi chipped in 10 points. Jontray Harris made his first career start as a Golden Eagle and scored eight points with eight rebounds.
Tyler Hagedorn was 9-10 for the game for a game-high 20 points to go with his 10 rebounds. Matt Mooney scored 19 points, 12 of which came in the second half, and Triston Simpson scored 14.
Quote of the Game
"Albert and Austin are a joy to coach and are wonderful young men. I'm disappointed, frustrated, upset, and a whole lot of other feelings, that we couldn't come away with a victory, more because we wanted to play in a way to honor those guys. I wish I had done a better job in order to make sure that Albert and Austin's last experience here was more memorable." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
Mooney hit a 3-pointer to end the first half, and USD extended it to a 27-6 spurt over the first eight minutes of the second half to flip an 11-point ORU lead into a 10 point USD advantage.
Oral Roberts: White led ORU in points (15) and rebounds (11), while Sam Kearns had four of ORU's eight assists. Harris earned two of ORU's three steals in the game.
South Dakota: Hagedorn led the Coyotes in points (20) and rebounds (10), while Simpson had a team high four assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 37 percent (23-61) from the field and 25 percent (5-20) from 3-point range. The Golden Eagles were 16-20 (80 percent) from the free throw line.
- USD shot 75 percent (21-28) in the second half and 55 percent (34-61) for the game. The Coyotes finished 5-16 (31 percent) from 3-point range and 12-14 (85 percent) from the free throw line.
- USD held a 44-32 advantage in points in the paint and 19-7 advantage in points off turnovers.
News and Notes
- The final bucket of the game was a Kearns 3-pointer, which kept his streak alive at 28 straight games with a made 3-pointer.
- White earned his team-leading eighth double-double of the season and his first since January 6 when he had 11 points and 12 rebounds against Western Illinois.
- Wednesday marked just the second time this season in which ORU has given up a halftime lead, having lost to Pepperdine November 21 after taking a 40-33 lead into the locker room.
ORU finishes the regular season on the road for two games, beginning with a trip to Denver on Sunday. ORU closes the regular season at Omaha February 22.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).