Score: Tulsa 69 – Oral Roberts 59
Record: Tulsa (10-3) – ORU (4-11)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team made an early run to grab the first half lead, but it was Tulsa who made the final run, a 14-0 spurt late in the game, to grab the 69-59 win and retain the Mayor's Cup Trophy.
DeShang Weaver led ORU, and tied for game-high honors with 16 points, while Sam Kearns chipped in 12 points. Emmanuel Nzekwesi and Kevin Obanor, both of whom battled foul trouble late in the game, each narrowly missed the double-double. Obanor had nine points and nine rebounds in 20 minutes of action before fouling out, while Nzekwesi had nine points and eight rebounds.
Tulsa got 16 points each from Martins Igbanu and DaQuan Jeffries, while Sterling Taplin had eight rebounds and six assists for the Golden Hurricane.
TU led the rebounding battle 38-32 and had a 30-10 advantage in points in the paint.
Quote of the Game
"It was the tale of two halves for us. I thought we played well in the first half, specifically in regards to rebounding. We only gave up two offensive rebounds and one was on the opening possession. They shot 19 free throws in the second half and our inability to guard without fouling was really the difference." – Head Coach Paul Mills.
Tulsa put together a 14-0 run late in the game to grab the late lead and extended it to a 13-point advantage with 1:42 to play.
Oral Roberts: Weaver led ORU in scoring with 16 points, while Obanor grabbed a team-best nine rebounds, including five offensive boards. Kearns added five assists and two steals to lead ORU in both categories.
Tulsa: Igbanu and Jeffries each had 16 points, while Taplin had eight rebounds and six assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot exactly 35.7 (10-28) in both halves to finish the game 20-56 (35.7 percent) from the field. The Golden Eagles connected better from long range at 38.7 percent (12-31) and hit 7-12 free throws.
- TU shot 42.9 percent (21-49) from the field, 30 percent (6-20) from 3-point range and hit 21 of their 30 free throw attempts.
- TU out-rebounded ORU 38-32 and out-scored ORU 30-10 in the paint.
- ORU finished the game with 15 assists on 20 made baskets.
News and Notes
- ORU's 12 3-pointers made ties the season high, matching the mark set on the road at SMU.
- Weaver led the team in scoring for the second time this season, the first being when he scored 23 points against Ecclesia. It was his fifth double-digit scoring effort of the season.
- ORU went on an 11-0 run, and extended it to a 17-3 spurt thanks in part to a 4-point play from Weaver, to take a 25-21 lead with less than two minutes in the first half.
- Tulsa has now won the Mayor's Cup Trophy three straight years after ORU claimed the crosstown rivalry the previous three years in a row.
The Golden Eagles will have a break for Christmas before beginning Summit League play at Omaha December 30.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).