Score: Denver 74 – Oral Roberts 58
Record: Denver (7-14, 2-5) – ORU (8-14, 4-3)
Location: Denver, Colo. (Magness Arena)
DENVER, Colo. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team fell 74-58 on the road at Denver, Sunday afternoon.
Kevin Obanor scored 17 points, 15 of which came in the first half, while Francis Lācis added a career high 15 points as the only other Golden Eagle in double figures. Kerwin Smith and Emir Ahmedic each had a game-high seven rebounds for the Golden Eagles.
Joe Rosga scored 21 points to lead the Pioneers, while David Nzekwesi added 13 and Ade Murkey dropped in 11 and had four assists. Tory Stewart-Miller grabbed six rebounds to lead the Pioneers.
Still a 3-point game with 8:52 to play, ORU went scoreless for nearly three minutes and Denver was able to push it to a 10-point game.
Oral Roberts: ORU got 17 points from Obanor and 15 from Lācis, while Smith led the way on the boards with seven rebounds.
Denver: Rosga scored 21 points to lead all scorers while Stewart-Miller grabbed a team-high six rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 34 percent (20-58) from the field, 46 percent (11-24) from 3-point range and 70 percent (7-10) from the free throw line.
- Denver shot 53 percent (23-43) from the field, 42 percent (8-19) from 3-point range and 83 percent (20-24) from the free throw line.
- The Pioneers out-rebounded ORU 33-27, although ORU held a 9-6 edge in second chance points.
- Denver had 15 turnovers and ORU had 13 giveaways.
News and Notes
- Lācis scored a career high 15 points on a 5-7 shooting effort (5-6 from 3-point range). It was his third double figure scoring effort, and the second in Summit League play having scored 12 points against the Leathernecks.
- After a slow start going 0-7 from the field to start the game, ORU recovered and briefly took a one point lead before a Denver 3-pointer gave the Pioneers the two point halftime lead.
- Sunday marked the first time in Summit League play in which ORU has been out-rebounded. The Golden Eagles are now 0-9 this season when getting out-rebounded.
- DeShang Weaver broke his streak of 13 straight games with a made 3-pointer.
ORU returns home for four straight, beginning Saturday, January 26 as the Golden Eagles host North Dakota State at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).