Score: Oral Roberts 86 – South Dakota 72
Record: ORU (10-17, 6-6) – USD (9-15, 3-8)
Location: Vermillion, S.D. (Sanford Coyote Sports Center)
VERMILLION, S.D. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team made a run late in the first half and cruised to an 86-72 victory over South Dakota on the road, Sunday, at the Sanford Coyote Sports Center.
ORU was led by Kevin Obanor, who scored 24 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead all players in both categories. Sam Kearns dropped in 17 points, while Kaelen Malone and Emir Ahmedic each added 11 points. DeShang Weaver made it five double-digit scorers with 10 points.
South Dakota got 20 points from Triston Simpson and 18 from Stanley Umude. Simpson was also the leading rebounder for the Coyotes with nine boards.
ORU shot better than 55 percent from the field in each half, and finished the game shooting 56 percent (32-57). ORU also shot well from the free throw line, connecting on 14-15 (93 percent) from the line. The Golden Eagles held a 32-24 advantage in rebounding.
Quote of the Game
"We won this game on the offensive end of the court. I don't know that you want to just try to outscore people because that makes it tough, but we were able to get some opportunities around the rim. We had 40 paint points out of our 86, and it was our guards attacking and our bigs finishing. Fortunately, that put us in a position to win the basketball game." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
South Dakota led by six, its largest lead of the game, with 10 minutes to play in the first half before ORU out-scored the Coyotes 14-4 over the next 4:26 to take a 32-28 lead. The Golden Eagles did not trail the rest of the way.
Oral Roberts: Obanor led ORU in scoring (24) and rebounding (14), while Kearns had a team high five assists. Malone had two steals and Aidan Saunders was credited with the only block for ORU.
South Dakota: Simpson had 20 points and nine rebounds to lead the Coyotes in both categories. Umude had four blocks and Tyler Peterson had a team-best two steals.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 56 percent (32-57) from the field, 40 percent (8-20) from 3-point range and 93 percent (14-15) from the free throw line.
- South Dakota shot 44 percent (22-50) from the field, 50 percent (9-18) from the 3-point line and 79 percent (19-24) from the free throw line.
- ORU out-rebounded USD 32-24 and out-scored the Coyotes 40-24 in the paint.
News and Notes
- Obanor wasted no time securing his fourth double-double of the season as the freshman scored 15 points and had 10 rebounds in the first half alone.
- Ahmedic posted a career high 11 points, the first double-digit scoring game of his career, doing so on a 5-6 shooting effort.
- ORU swept the regular season series with South Dakota and moved to 8-6 in the all-time series with the Coyotes. It was ORU's first regular season sweep over USD since the 2011-12 season.
- Thanks to a hot offensive night, the Golden Eagles went against the trend and won for just the third time (3-15) when their opponent shoots more free throws. USD was 19-24 from the line, while ORU was 14-15.
- ORU's 93 percent (14-15) from the free throw line is ninth in school history in games with at least 10 attempts.
- The Golden Eagles had five double-figure scorers for the first time since doing so against Oakland November 28, 2018.
ORU will take a trip to North Dakota for two games next week, facing North Dakota State Thursday and North Dakota Saturday. Both games will be televised on MidcoSN and available on ESPN3.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).