Score: Southwestern Christian 45 - Oral Roberts 99
Record: SCU (5-2) – ORU (3-4)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – Behind a balanced offensive attack, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team put together a 99-45 rout of Southwestern Christian Monday night at the Mabee Center. All nine players that saw the court for ORU scored at least six points as four reached double figures.
The Golden Eagles hit three from long range in the game's first four minutes quickly building a 12-0 advantage, shooting 4-of-6, before the visiting Eagles got on the scoreboard. ORU used a 9-0 stretch doubling a nine-point edge with five minutes to play in the first half and took a 24-point advantage into the locker room as Deondre Burns knocked down a triple before the buzzer.
The strong outside shooting continued on ORU's first possession of the second stanza as Sam Kearns connected for his third 3-pointer and Max Abmas followed with five of the next seven points as the margin swelled to 62-24.
It was cruise control from that time as the Golden Eagles got its margin up as high as 54 points closing out their third-straight home victory, 99-45.
Quote of the Game
"To only have five turnovers was good, especially building off a nine turnover game against Wichita State. Kevin had two turnovers, but other than that, three guys only had one each, so a great job by our guards taking care of the basketball." – Head Coach Paul Mills
After the Golden Eagles won the opening tip the scoring commenced, started on a 3-pointer from Francis Lacis just eight seconds into the game. The lead stretched to double digits as ORU scored the first 12 points of the contest and never had the margin slip below nine points the rest of the night.
Oral Roberts: Burns was efficient and effective all night as the senior finished with 17 points, connecting on 64 percent of his shots, while adding a team-best four assists and tallied five rebounds.
Southwestern Christian: Richard Anderson and Charles Dickson were the only Eagles players to score in double digits leading the visitors with 11 points.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU was a dominant force inside holding a 50-18 edge in points in the paint and held a 30-7 advantage in second-chance points. The Golden Eagles also pushed the tempo in transition leading to 14 fastbreak points.
- After being limited to just one point at Wichita State Saturday, Abmas found his rhythm in the second half scoring 13 of his game-high 18 points. The freshman now has scored double figures in six of seven games played this season.
- Burns ended the night 7-of-11 from the floor totaling 17 points. Kevin Obanor finished with nine points and a team-best nine rebounds, including seven of ORU's 23 offensive rebounds.
- Aidan Saunders and Ty Lazenby reached double-digit scoring for the first time this year with 13 and 12 points, respectively, while D'Mauria Jones chipped in six points. The bench combined to score 40 of the Golden Eagles 99 points.
News and Notes
- ORU controlled the glass pulling down 54 total rebounds and hit a season-high 12 3-point baskets coming from seven different players.
- The Golden Eagles posted runs of 12-0, 19-0 and 10-0 during the performance.
- SCU, a member of the NAIA, played tonight's contest as an exhibition game and does not count toward its win-loss record.
The Golden Eagles hit the road for their next game heading to Omaha, Nebraska, to face the Bluejays of Creighton Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m. Don't miss the action as it airs live on FS1.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).