Score: Missouri State 0 - Oral Roberts 1
Records: MSU (1-1-0), ORU (1-0-0)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - It took more than 13 minutes of extra time, but the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team continued to have Missouri State's number as the Golden Eagles knocked off the Missouri Valley Conference preseason favorites in double-overtime, 1-0.
It was the first time since 2010 ORU won a season opener, while the Bears dropped their season record to 1-1-0. ORU now has a three match unbeaten streak against the Bears over the past two seasons.
The match was defensive battle throughout, with ORU starting goalkeeper Ben LaCourse making several spectacular saves to keep the Bears out of the net. In the 78th minute, MSU had its best look of the match to take a lead in regulation, but LaCourse laid out to his left to make a diving save on a shot by Brandon Barbero.
In the 104th minute, the Bears fouled a Golden Eagle player, setting a free kick from about 45 yards out. The Golden Eagles were able to convert on the set piece as Alex White sent the free kick into the box, and after a header by Zari Prescod, Johnny Chavez was able to get a head on the ball for the golden goal.
Facing a one-on-one opportunity by MSU's Brandon Barbero, ORU keeper Ben LaCourse made a world-class diving save to his left to keep the match scoreless in the 78th minute.
Inside the Box Score
- Johnny Chavez led ORU with a goal on three shot opportunities.
- Alex White and Zari Prescod were credited with assists on the game-winning goal.
- Matthew Rogers had two of the Golden Eagles' three shots on goal.
- Ben LaCourse earned a season opening shutout in goal for ORU, recording five saves, improving to 1-0-0 on the season.
- MSU outshot the Golden Eagles in the match, 16-7.
- Mikey Lightbourne and James Thomas each took three shots to lead MSU, with Lighbourne recording two shots on goal.
- Addison Watson (0-1-0) picked up two saves in his first career start in goal for MSU.
News and Notes
- The victory for ORU is the first win in the season opener since 2010 at Central Arkansas.
- ORU improved its unbeaten streak against MSU to three matches, 2-0-1 the past two seasons.
ORU hits the road on Friday as the Golden Eagles travel to face Houston Baptist at 5 p.m. The Golden Eagles close out a Texas roadtrip on Sunday at Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Texas.
|Box Score, ORU vs. Missouri State 9-1-14|