Score: Oral Roberts 0 - IPFW 1
Records: ORU (4-5-2, 0-2-1), IPFW (4-5-4, 2-1-0)
Location: Hefner Soccer Complex - Fort Wayne, Ind.
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Missed opportunities doomed the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team on Saturday as the Golden Eagles dropped a 1-0 decision at IPFW in Summit League action.
ORU fell to 4-5-2 overall and 0-2-1 in league play, and the Mastodons of IPFW improved to 4-5-3 and 2-1-0. The Golden Eagles dropped into a tie for sixth place in the Summit following the decision.
The Golden Eagles had several opportunities for easy goals in the match, catching the IPFW goalkeeper out of position. However, the Mastodon defense stepped up, recording three team saves.
In the 64th minute, a costly mistake inside the box decided the match as the Mastodons drew a foul. Corey Tom was called upon and converted a penalty kick to break a scoreless tie.
Following a foul inside the penalty area, Corey Tom netted a penalty kick in the 64th minute to make the match 1-0.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU controlled the possession much of the match, taking 14 corner kicks to just one by IPFW.
- Tarik Salkicic led the Golden Eagles with two shots on goal.
- Javier Reyes, Johnny Chavez, Gerardo Salas, Kaspars Kokis, Alex White and Corey Cantor each had a shot on target.
- Ben LaCourse recorded five saves as his record dropped to 4-5-2 on the season.
- Corey Tom had two shots on goal for IPFW, scoring a goal on a penalty kick.
- Raphael Kotzock collected five saves in goal, and the Mastodons added three team assists.
News and Notes
- IPFW moved into second place in the Summit League with the victory.
- ORU is 1-5-1 on the road this season.
- The Golden Eagles have been held scoreless in the last three matches.
The Golden Eagles return to the field on Wednesday as they take on Memphis at 7 p.m. at the Case Soccer Complex.
|Box Score, ORU at IPFW 10-11-14|