Score: Memphis 3 - Oral Roberts 0
Records: Memphis (7-4-2), ORU (4-6-2)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - Memphis forward Hector Cantele recorded a hat trick on Wednesday as the Oral Roberts University men's soccer fell to the Tigers 3-0 at the Case Soccer Complex.
ORU dropped to 4-6-2 on the season, while Memphis improved to 7-4-2. The Golden Eagles have failed to net a goal in their previous four matches.
Cantele started the scoring in the 25th minute as Fakhry Khulfan collected a loose ball near the endline, and sent the ball into the center of the box for the Cantele finish. Two minutes later, Cantele got a head on the ball following a free kick taken by Raul Gonzalez to quickly extend the lead to 2-0.
In the 47th minute of play, Cantele completed the hat trick, breaking away from the Golden Eagles defense for a one-on-one goal to make it 3-0.
Hector Cantele netted his first of three goals in the 25th minute to give Memphis a 1-0 lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Corey Cantor led the Golden Eagles with four shots, two of which were put on goal.
- Johnny Chavez, Gerardo Salas, Casey Cantor and Juan Diego Padilla each had one shot on goal.
- Ben LaCourse (4-6-2) played the first half, allowing two goals and recording two saves.
- Isaac Sandoval started the second half between the posts, allowing one goal and pulling in four saves.
- Hector Cantele had three goals, while Raul Gonzalez took two shots on goal and earned an assist.
- Cody Uzcategui (7-4-2) earned the win between the post with five saves in 75 minutes.
News and Notes
- Memphis leads the all-time series, 8-2.
- ORU's best opportunity was when the Golden Eagles were awarded a penalty kick in the 50th minute, but Gerardo Salas' attempt was blocked by Cody Uzcategui.
ORU returns to Summit League play on Saturday as the Golden Eagles host IUPUI at 7 p.m. at the Case Soccer Complex.
|Box Score, ORU vs. Memphis, 10-15-14|