Score: Eastern Illinois 0 - Oral Roberts 5
Records: EIU (3-13-1, 1-4-1), ORU (8-7-2, 3-2-1)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - Senior Johnny Chavez scored two goals in his final match at the Case Soccer Complex Saturday evening as the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team rolled over Eastern Illinois 5-0 in the regular season finale.
With the victory by ORU, and a Denver win over Western Illinois, the Golden Eagles claimed a share of the Summit League regular season championship. It's the first regular season championship for the men's soccer program since 2004.
ORU finished the regular season with a winning record for the first time since 2005 as the Golden Eagles finished 8-7-2 overall and 3-2-1 in league play. The Panthers closed their season with a mark of 3-13-1 and 1-4-1 in the league.
Chavez started the scoring in the eighth minute, finishing the goal from the left side. 10 minutes later, Edgardo Mira made it a 2-0 match with a touch over the EIU goalkeepers head.
In the 26th minute, Tarik Salkicic was fouled inside the penalty area and was called upon for the penalty kick, easily converting the PK to make it a 3-0 lead.
The Golden Eagles entered halftime with a 4-0 lead after Chavez netted his second goal of the match, through the keeper's legs. Matthew Rogers rounded out the scoring in the 56th minute with a goal from the left side of the box to extend ORU's lead to 5-0.
ORU jumped out to a quick lead in the eighth minute as Johnny Chavez blasted a shot into the back of the net to give the Golden Eagles a 1-0 lead. Ben LaCourse kept the lead in tact with a diving save on a penalty kick just moments after Chavez's goal.
Inside the Box Score
- 11 of ORU's 13 shots were put on goal in the match.
- Johnny Chavez took three shots on goal and scored twice, giving him 10 goals this season, the most in the league.
- Edgardo Mira scored his third goal of the season, and tied a school record with three assists.
- Tarik Salkicic had two shots on goal, scored his third goal of the season, and had two assists.
- Matthew Rogers netted his fourth goal of the season and had two assists.
- Javier Reyes, Alex White, Zari Prescod and Griffith Poindexter each took a shot on goal.
- Ben LaCourse (8-7-2) recorded his third straight shutout, pulling in four saves, including a save on a penalty kick.
- Will Butler led EIU with three of their eight shots, including two shots on target.
- Mike Novotny (2-11-0) took the loss, allowing five goals and recording six saves.
News and Notes
- Five goals by ORU is the most since the Golden Eagles netted five at IPFW on September 28, 2012.
- The victory was the largest margin of victory for ORU since they defeated Newman 5-0 on October 29, 2005.
- Johnny Chavez's 10 goals this season is tied for the fourth-most in a season by a Golden Eagle, and the first time 10 or more goals have been scored since 2003.
- ORU will enter the 2014 Summit League Championship Tournament as the two seed.
ORU will travel to Denver, Colorado, on Thursday to take on two-seed Western Illinois in the Summit League Championship Tournament semifinals. The winner of the match will face the winner between Denver and IPFW.
|Box Score, ORU vs. EIU 11-8-14|