Score: Western Illinois 2 - Oral Roberts 1
Records: WIU (9-6-3), ORU (8-8-2)
Location: CIBER Field - Denver, Colo.
DENVER, Colo. - Despite a second half offensive barrage by the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team, the Golden Eagle's season came to an end in the Summit League semifinals with a 2-1 loss at the hands of Western Illinois.
ORU closed the 2014 campaign with a 8-8-2 record, marking the first time since the 2005 season in which the Golden Eagles have won eight games. Western Illinois (9-6-3) advanced to the championship game against the winner between Denver and IPFW.
WIU took an early 1-0 lead in the 11th minute as Ben Fibbs sent a cross into the box and Fernando Pacheco scored with a sliding finish. The Leathernecks made it 2-0 late in the match on a goal by Jacob Bevan in the 84th minute.
Throughout the second half, the Golden Eagles had multiple opportunities as they put eight shots on goal in the final 37 minutes of play. Griffith Poindexter was able to put the final shot in as time ran out to make it a 2-1 final.
Western Illinois got a goal from Fernando Pacheco in the 11th minute of play to take an early 1-0 lead.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU was efficient offensively, putting 10 of 15 shots on target, led by Johnny Chavez with an ORU season-high four shots on goal. Chavez took an ORU season-high six shots.
- Griffith Poindexter scored his fifth career goal in his final match.
- Edgardo Mira had two shots on goal, recording an assist on Poindexter's goal.
- Ben LaCourse (8-8-2) pulled in seven saves for ORU in the loss.
- Mario Alvarez led the Leathernecks with three shots, all on goal, and two assists.
- Yves Dietrich (9-6-3) recorded nine saves.
News and Notes
- ORU won a share of the Summit League regular season championship last Saturday, its first championship since 2004.
- It's the third time in four seasons WIU has defeated ORU in the league semifinals.
|Box Score, ORU vs. WIU 11-14-14|