Score: Southern Methodist 2 - Oral Roberts 1
Records: SMU (6-6-2), ORU (3-4-1)
Location: Westcott Field - Dallas, Texas
DALLAS – An early SMU goal proved to be the difference maker Tuesday night at Westcott Field as the Mustangs picked up a 2-1 victory over the ORU men's soccer team.
Seven minutes into play, SMU's Brenden Lee dribbled through the defense and took a shot from 18-yards out past ORU's Ben LaCourse to put the Mustangs ahead.
The Mustang's Emil Cuello pushed SMU ahead for good in the 39th minute with his third goal of the season after blasting the ball from 23-yards.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU took just one shot in the first half of play as Derennes netted the shot for a goal.
- On the night, SMU outshot ORU 18-6.
- Derennes led the team with three shot attempts while Tyler Hill, Alex Harris and Fraley each put up one shot.
- ORU was called for 12 fouls in the match. Tarik Nicholls and Javo Reyes were each issued a yellow card.
- SMU took nine corner kicks while the Golden Eagles were held to just two on the night.
- LaCourse made five saves in 90 minutes of action in net.
The Golden Eagles will return to Tulsa to continue Summit League play Saturday when they play host to Western Illinois. The match is set to kickoff at 7 p.m. at the Case Soccer Complex. Admission is free.
For more information and updates about ORU men's soccer, follow @ORUMSoccer on Twitter, or visit ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.