Score: Oral Roberts 6 – Central Arkansas 3
Records: ORU (5-6-2, 2-2-0 SL) – UCA (1-13-1, 0-4-0 MVC)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's soccer erupted for a season high six goals as the Golden Eagles defeated Central Arkansas, 6-3, Tuesday night at the Case Soccer Complex. Tarik Salkicic led the way for ORU with a pair of goals on the night while three other ORU players scored their first goals of the season.
The Golden Eagles (5-6-2, 2-2 SL) played a completely different match then when the team played to a 0-0 draw against UCA in Conway Nov. 6. As a team, the Golden Eagles outshot the bears 19-6 on the night while jumping out to an early 2-0 lead.
Salkicic, a Pinellas Park, Fla. native, scored the game's first goal nine minutes into play off a cross played into the box by Alex White. Freshman Davis Chimento would push the lead to two when he scored his first career goal off a rebound in the box.
Central Arkansas (1-13-1, 0-4-0 MVC) answered back in the 37th with a goal to break the drought and go to the locker room down just one.
UCA tied the match at two in the 49th but redshirt junior Javo Reyes would push the Golden Eagles ahead once more with his first goal of the season off yet another rebound.
Just three minute later ORU looked to push the score to two goals after Salkicic scored a penalty kick after a handball in the box.
The Bears countered the ORU PK with one of their own to score their third and final goal of the match, but Edgardo Mira put in the game-winner in the 66th minute after bending cross into the box from Isaac Fraley.
Inside the Box Score
- The team's six goals set a new season high in goals scored. The previous mark was at three goals against Western Illinois (10/3).
Salkicic scored his second and third goals of the year while Mira went for his second of 2015.
- Chimento, Javo and Rafael Rivera each scored their first goals of the season.
- Three Golden Eagles recorded a trio of shots during the match including Colton Haskin, Mira and Salkicic.
- Alex White, Matthew Rogers, Alex Harris and Mira each earned assists in the match.
- Ben LaCourse earned the victory in net for ORU. He improves to 4-5-1 on the season after making one save on the night.
- ORU outshot UCA 19-6, including an 11-3 mark in the opening half of play.
- UCA's Harrison Veith made six saves in 90 minutes in net for the Bears.
The Golden Eagles will continue play at home Saturday when they host IPFW at the Case Soccer Complex. First touch is scheduled for 7 p.m.
For more information and updates about ORU men's soccer, follow @ORUMSoccer on Twitter, or visit ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.