Event: Summit League Championship / Hosted by North Dakota State
Location: Fargo, N.D. / Schlanser Track-Shelly Ellig Sports Complex
Complete Results: Summit League Championship – Final
FARGO, N.D. – The men's 4x400m relay team set the second meet record in as many days on Saturday as the Oral Roberts track and field teams finished action at the 2017 Summit League Championships.
News & Notes
- Including a conference meet record in the 4x400m relay, the men came within 0.01 seconds of sweeping both relay events. The 4x100m relay team would have broken the meet record as well, but was edged by 0.01 seconds at the line by South Dakota.
- Omeiza Akerele earned three gold medals and a silver on Saturday, helping ORU in both relays as well as winning the 200m and 400m dash events. Akerele's times in both the 200m and 400m dashes were both career bests for the junior.
- Freshman Aobakwe Malau set a new personal record in the 100m dash, running 10.61, the fastest time by a Golden Eagle this season.
- In all, the ORU men had five runners set season bests in the 400m dash at the Summit League Championship and finished first second and a virtual tie for third in the finals of the event.
- The women's 4x400m relay team ran its fastest time of the season at 3:56.46.
- The ORU women had nine season-best performances during the three-day Summit League Championship meet.
- The ORU men finished fourth with 93 points, while the women were fifth with 33 points.
2nd – Jaden Purnell – 15.00m (49-2.5)
2nd – Aobakwe Malau – 10.61
8th – Sethren Wells – 56.32
1st – Kenneth James, Omeiza Akerel, Aobakwe Malau, D'Khari Hicks – 3:11.06*
* Meet Record
2nd – Cameron Hilliard – 24.42
Selected Golden Eagles will earn bids to the NCAA Preliminary Rounds, which will begin May 25 in Austin, Texas. Entries into the event will be announced the week before, but the following athletes are inside the top 48 in the west region and expected to earn a spot; D'Khari Hicks (22nd, 200m), Omeiza Akerele (41st, 200m), Omeiza Akerele (46th, 400m), Jaden Purnell (37th, triple jump), Mercy Abire (36th, long jump),
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook and Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.