SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Oral Roberts sent another athlete through to the next round as Israel Nelson qualified for the quarterfinals in the 110-meter hurdles, Friday, as action continued at the NCAA West Preliminary.
News and Notes
- Nelson finished second in his heat to automatically qualify for the quarterfinals in the 110m hurdles with a time of 14.04. His time was the 14th fastest time of the day.
- Nelson will compete in the quarterfinals on Saturday, with the top three from each heat, plus the next three best times, advancing to Eugene, Oregon, for the NCAA National Championship. -
- Aobakwe Malau finished sixth in his heat and 31st overall in the 200m dash as the sophomore finished in 21.43 seconds.
- ORU was scheduled to have four athletes compete Friday, but took a "did not finish" and a scratch due to injury in two events.
- Mercy Abire advanced to the NCAA National Championship in the long jump on Thursday night.
Men's 110m Hurdles
14 – Israel Nelson – 14.04
Men's 200m Dash
31 – Aobakwe Malau – 21.43
Women's 100m Hurdles
DNF – Sasha Wells
Women's 200m Dash
DNS – Aniekeme Etim
The final day of the NCAA West Preliminary will feature five Golden Eagles. In addition to Nelson's quarterfinal race, Jaden Purnell will compete in the men's triple jump, while Mercy Abire, Kirsten Burnett and Amaya Christon compete in the women's triple jump. Live results can be found at NCAA.com.
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.