SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Israel Nelson may have missed the 110-meter hurdle school record by 0.01 seconds, but he'll have another shot at it after grabbing the 12th and final qualifying spot in the NCAA National Championship meet. Nelson's qualification led the way as five Golden Eagles competed on the final day of the NCAA West Preliminary.
News and Notes
- Nelson became the second Golden Eagle to punch their ticket to Eugene, Oregon, for the NCAA Championship after Mercy Abire qualified in the long jump on Thursday.
- Nelson's time of 13.90 is 0.01 seconds off Franz Petzold's record of 13.89, which was set at the 2003 NCAA Regional Meet. Nelson ran 13.75 earlier in the year but was aided by a 4.5 wind, which is above the allowable limit for the record books.
- ORU will make it a streak of 23 straight years sending at least one athlete to the NCAA National Championship.
- Nelson was ranked 14th in the region entering the meet and improved two spots to advance. Jaden Purnell was ranked 38th in the region in the triple jump, and improved 23 spots to 15th.
- Purnell's mark of 15.57m (51-1) was his best outdoor jump since the NCAA West Preliminary meet in 2017 when he threw down a wind-aided mark of 15.80m (51-10) to advance to the 2017 NCAA Championship.
- Prior to Purnell arriving on campus, the triple jump school record was 15.31m (50-2.75), held by Michal Joachimoski, who set the record at the 2003 Mid-Con Championship.
12 – Israel Nelson – 13.90
Men's Triple Jump
15 – Jaden Purnell – 15.57m (51-1)
The final day of the NCAA West Preliminary will feature five Golden Eagles. In addition to Nelson's quarterfinal race, Jaden Purnell will compete in the men's triple jump, while Mercy Abire, Kirsten Burnett and Amaya Christon compete in the women's triple jump. Live results can be found at NCAA.com.
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.