Score: ORU 76 - Western Illinois 73
Records: ORU (9-10, 3-3 Summit) - Western Illinois (11-7, 3-2 Summit)
Location: Mabee Center - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - Another hot shooting night from the field helped the Oral Roberts University women's basketball team pull out a 76-73 win Saturday afternoon over Western Illinois.
The Golden Eagles saw an early lead evaporate as the Leathernecks took a 33-27 lead into the locker room at halftime. ORU was also able to lock down on defense, holding the league's top scoring team to just three three-pointers in the game.
In the second half ORU came out with the hot hand shooting 51 percent as sophomore Dorottya Balla scored 19 points to help the Golden Eagles hold off Western Illinois. Balla finished 3-of-5 from behind the three-point line as ORU finished 6-of-9 as a team.
Ashley Luke finished with a game-high 30 points for Western Illinois before fouling out in the final minutes of the game.
Both teams traded baskets midway through the second half before ORU opened a 12-4 run and took a seven point lead with just under two minutes left in the game. The Golden Eagles were also able to make six free throws down the stretch to ice the game and hold onto a 76-73 victory.
Oral Roberts: Dorottya Balla scored a season-high 19 points on 5-of-11 from the field and 6-of-6 from the free throw line.
Western Illinois: Ashley Luke posted a double-double with 30 points and 12 rebounds for the Leathernecks.
Inside the Box
- ORU shot 47% from the field and scored at least 75 points in back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- Dorottya Balla led ORU in scoring for the third time this season.
- The six three-pointers for ORU were the most since making seven against St. Gregory's on Dec. 29.
- It was also seventh time this season ORU has scored 70 or more points as the Golden Eagles are 7-0 this season.
- ORU is 8-1 at home this season and 27-6 in the last three seasons at the Mabee Center for an .818 winning percentage.
- Vicky McIntyre pulled down 15 rebounds giving her 289 on the season and jumping all the way to 5th on the ORU single-season rebound list.
- McIntyre's five blocks giver her 88 on the season and she is 6 away from second on the ORU single-season list. Kisa Bradley tallied 94 during the 1996-97 season and holds the top spot with 119 blocks from the 1995-96 season.
ORU will have a week off before closing its home stand next Saturday against Omaha. Tip-off between the Golden Eagles and Mavericks is set for 2 p.m.