Score: ORU 89 – Evangel 46
Records: ORU (1-0); Evangel (1-4)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team jumped out to an early lead and never looked back rolling in the season opener, 89-46, over Evangel on Saturday afternoon.
The Golden Eagles improved to 1-0 on the season as they recorded 20 steals for the first time since January 23, 2012 against IPFW. An evenly distributed offense saw ORU also dish out 19 assists with just eight turnovers in the game.
Pitts went 3-for-5 from behind the three-point line and also added three steals in the win.
The defensive pressure from ORU saw Evangel shoot just 23 percent from the field as the Golden Eagles also scored 38 points off turnovers.
The Crusaders were led by Allison Swanson who finished with 15 points and five rebounds.
The Turning Point
Bria Pitts hit a three-pointer with 7:07 left in the first quarter to give ORU an 11-3 lead. The trey sparked a 19-9 run by the Golden Eagles who led by as many as 45 in the second half.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim scored 15 points and pulled down six rebounds to lead ORU.
Evangel: Allison Swanson tallied 15 points and five boards for the Crusaders.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU recorded 20 steals for the first time since January 23, 2012 against IPFW when they tallied 21 steals.
- The Golden Eagles had five players score in double figures for the first time since February 27, 2014. Dorottya Balla finished with 12 points while Maria Martianez added 12 and Jasauen Beard tallied 11 to join Pitts and Ihim's 15 points.
- The Golden Eagles recorded 28 fast break points to Evangel's zero.
- ORU scored 38 points off turnovers in the win.
- The eight three-pointers for ORU as a team were the most since hitting 12 against Southwestern Christian last season on December 2, 2014.
- The Golden Eagles finished with 19 assists for the first time since posting 19 against St. Gregory's last season on December 29, 2014. ORU also recorded 20 against Austin Peay last season on Nov. 29.
- Ten of the 11 Golden Eagles scored in Saturday's game.
News & Notes
- With 89 points, ORU tied a high point total in a season opener under head coach Misti Cussen. The Golden Eagles scored 89 in a 2013-14 win over USAO.
- The Golden Eagles improve to 7-1 all-time against Evangel and 2-0 under Cussen.
- Including Saturday's season opener, ORU plays three of its first four games in Tulsa including on November 20 in the PSO Mayor's Cup at the University of Tulsa. The Golden Eagles also host Little Rock on November 24.
The Golden Eagles head west to take on Grand Canyon Monday in Phoenix. The 'Lopes knocked off ORU in the final seconds last year at the Mabee Center, 54-51.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.