Score: Missouri State 72 – Oral Roberts 64
Records: Missouri State (6-4); Oral Roberts (2-7)
Location: Springfield, Mo. – JQH Arena
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – A cold start was too much for the Oral Roberts women's basketball team to overcome Saturday night as a fourth quarter rally fell short, 72-64, at Missouri State.
The Golden Eagles trailed by as many as 27 points in the second half, however ORU held Missouri State scoreless for more than six minutes to mount a furious fourth quarter comeback. ORU shot 45 percent in the second half to pull within seven points with 2:50 left in the game, but MSU held off the Golden Eagles in the final minutes.
Kaylan Mayberry led the Golden Eagles for a second straight game with 18 points while Bria Pitts finished with 16 points and four rebounds. Mayberry and Pitts combined to made six three-pointers as the Golden Eagles finished 6-of-12 from behind the arc.
Missouri State was led by a double-double from Kenzie Williams who posted 21 points and 12 rebounds. She was one of three MSU players to finish in double figures as Liza Fruendt and Tyonna Snow each scored 15.
Kaylan Mayberry and Blair Bryce hit back-to-back three-pointers with 8:34 left in the game to help start a 13-0 run for the Golden Eagles. The run cut the MSU lead to seven points with 2:50 left in the game as Faith Ihim hit a runner in the lane. However, Kenzie Williams made two free throws to stop the run and scored six straight points over the next minute to help hold off ORU.
Oral Roberts: Kaylan Mayberry paced ORU with 18 points while Bria Pitts added 16 points.
Missouri State: Kenzie Williams finished with a game-high 21 points and 12 boards.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot just 25.9 percent in the first half while MSU shot 36.8 percent. In the second half the Golden Eagles shot 45.7 percent from the field while the Lady Bears shot 38.5 percent.
- The Lady Bears turned the ball over just 10 times while ORU finished with 15 turnovers.
- The Golden Eagles finished with a season-low two steals in the loss.
- Kaylan Mayberry led ORU in scoring for a second consecutive game with a season-high 18 points. She has scored in double figures three straight games.
- Blair Bryce led ORU in rebounding for the first time this season with 11 boards. Ashley Beatty also had a season-best seven rebounds.
ORU returns home to host Lyon College at the Mabee Center Tuesday afternoon. Tipoff is scheduled for noon as part of the TTCU Best Field Trip Ever.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.