Score: Oral Roberts 54 – IUPUI 57
Records: Oral Roberts (9-12, 6-3 SL); IUPUI (15-7, 6-3)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – A seesaw battle saw the Oral Roberts women's basketball team edged 57-54 Saturday afternoon by IUPUI in Summit League action at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles climbed back from an early deficit in the first quarter and tied the game at halftime on a Kaylan Mayberry three-pointer at the buzzer at 26-26. However, IUPUI was able to hold off a rally from ORU in the final minutes handing the Golden Eagles their second straight loss.
Mayberry picked up her first double-double of her career finishing with 16 points and a career-high 10 rebounds. She was the only Golden Eagles to make a three going 3-for-5. Faith Ihim added nine points and six rebounds while Maria Martianez finished with 11 points.
IUPUI was led by Danielle Lawrence who scored a game-high 23 points and added six boards. She was 6-of-16 from the field and 10-of-12 from the free throw line. Shaquira Scott tallied 11 points and six boards in the win.
ORU tied the game at 39-39 with 7:23 after Blair Bryce finished an and-1 at the free throw line. However IUPUI responded with an 11-1 run to take a 50-40 lead with 3:05 left in the game. The Jaguars were also 5-of-5 from the free throw line in the final minute to hold on to the victory.
Oral Roberts: Kaylan Mayberry earned her first career double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
IUPUI: Danielle Lawrence finished with a game-high 23 points and six rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU won the rebounding battle 43-35 for the third straight game. However in those games ORU is 1-2.
- The Golden Eagles were 3-of-14 from the three-point line with two coming in the final 16 seconds from Kaylan Mayberry. It was the fewest three-pointers for ORU since making just two against Lyon College on 12/15.
- Mayberry earned her first career double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds. She joins Faith Ihim (3) and Blair Bryce (1) to post double-doubles this season.
- ORU and IUPUI split the season series with the visiting team winning each game.
- The loss ties ORU and IUPUI in The Summit League standings at 6-3 and in third place.
The Golden Eagles close out their homestand Thursday night as they host North Dakota State. Tipoff form the Mabee Center is set for 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.