Score: Oral Roberts 68 – Western Illinois 55
Records: Oral Roberts (14-15); Western Illinois (15-15)
Location: PREMIER Center – Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Kaylan Mayberry scored a career-high 33 points to lead the Oral Roberts women's basketball team to a 68-55 victory over Western Illinois in the Summit League Quarterfinals Sunday afternoon.
The Golden Eagles used tough defense in the first half to build a 28-19 lead while holding the Leathernecks to just 23 percent from the field. ORU pulled away in the second half behind a blistering 53 percent from the field.
Mayberry finished 13-of-17 from the field and 5-of-7 from behind the arc. It was the most points by an ORU player in a Summit League tournament game and postseason game breaking the record of 28 points set by Kevi Luper vs. Western Illinois (3/5/11) and Jaci (Bigham) Inman vs. South Dakota State (3/9/10).
Blair Bryce was just shy of a double-double finishing with seven points and 17 rebounds. The senior also added four blocks in the win.
Western Illinois was led by 15 points each from Sophie Reichelt and Michelle Maher. Reichelt added three blocks and three steals for the Leathernecks.
Kaylan Mayberry hit a three-pointer with 7:17 left in the third quarter to put ORU up 35-26. From there the Golden Eagles would go on a 12-2 run over the next four minutes to push their lead to 15 points. ORU never looked back as the lead never fell below double digits over the final 15 minutes.
Oral Roberts: Kaylan Mayberry scored a career-high and ORU postseason record 33 points on 13-of-17 shooting. She made five three-pointers in the win.
Western Illinois: Sophie Reichelt and Michelle Maher each finished with 15 points while Reichelt added three blocks and three steals.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot above 45 percent in the game for the fourth time this season and second against WIU.
- The Golden Eagles held the Leathernecks to 27 percent from the field – the sixth time this season they held a team below 30 percent.
- Kaylan Mayberry broke an ORU postseason record with 33 points. The mark was previously shared by Kevi Luper and Jaci (Bigham) Inman as each scored 28 points. Luper against Western Illinois on 3/5/11 and Inman vs. South Dakota State, 3/9/10.
- The five three-pointers for Mayberry tied a career-high set earlier this season in a win at Kansas on 12/22/15.
- ORU is 5-1 against WIU in The Summit League Tournament all-time and a perfect 10-0 as the No. 4 seed. The Golden Eagles also improved to 11-6 in The Summit League Quarterfinals.
The Golden Eagles take on top seed South Dakota Monday at noon in The Summit League Semifinals. ORU handed the Coyotes their only loss of the regular season while USD claimed its second consecutive regular season title. Monday's game will air on ESPN3 and can also be seen on the Watch ESPN App.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.