Score: Oral Roberts 61 – South Dakota 78
Records: Oral Roberts (14-16); South Dakota (26-5)
Location: PREMIER Center – Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team was unable to recover from an early deficit Monday, falling to top seed South Dakota, 78-61, in The Summit League Semifinals at the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
The Golden Eagles trailed 42-27 at halftime as the Coyotes shot over 60 percent in the first half. ORU managed to shoot 36 percent in the second half, however, they were unable to fight back as USD also hit eight three-pointers.
Maria Martianez and Jordan Doyle led ORU in scoring as each hit a pair of late three-pointers to finish with 13 points. Doyle added four assists and two steals, while Martianez pulled down four boards.
South Dakota saw four players finish in double figures as Nicole Seekamp and Margaret McCloud each tallied 14. Kelly Stewart added 10 points and Tia Hemiller finished with 10 while Stewart hit three of the eight three pointers for USD.
South Dakota jumped out to a 17-3 lead in the first quarter before Ashley Beatty hit a three pointer at the 2:09 mark. The Golden Eagles managed to pull within 14 with 4:26 left in the game however the Coyotes held on with help at the free throw line going 20-of-30 in the second half to seal the win.
Oral Roberts: Jordan Doyle and Maria Martianez finished with 13 points each while Doyle added four assists and was 2-of-4 from behind the three-point arc.
South Dakota: Nicole Seekamp and Margaret McCloud each finished with 14 points as Seekamp added four assists and McCloud pulled in six boards.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU was outrebounded 46-25 as the 21 rebound margin was the largest since Arkansas (12/1/15) outrebounded the Golden Eagles 46-21.
- ORU and South Dakota each made eight three-pointers in the game. It was the most for ORU since they made 10 at Kansas.
- Jordan Doyle's four assists were the second most this season and most since Maria Martianez added four assists on Feb. 11 at South Dakota State.
- The loss was the first ever loss for ORU as the No. 4 seed (10-1) and moves the Golden Eagles record to 7-3 in Summit League Semifinals.
- USD now leads the all-time series 4-3 while ORU is 23-12 all-time in The Summit League Tournament.
The Golden Eagles end their season at 14-16 after advancing to The Summit League Semifinals for a second consecutive season.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.