Score: Oral Roberts 82 – UT Martin 53
Records: Oral Roberts (6-4); UT Martin (2-7)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team sailed past the University of Tennessee at Martin 82-53 Saturday afternoon in the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles opened the game with an 8-0 run before UT Martin scored its first bucket five minutes in to the quarter. ORU shot 44.4 percent from the field in the first and scored 19 points. Of the 19 points scored by the Golden Eagles, 10 of those points were scored in the paint.
ORU scored another 19 points in the second quarter and held UT Martin to 12 points. Faith Ihim and Maria Martianez each recorded six points in the second and the Golden Eagles went 8-10 from the free-throw line. At halftime the Golden Eagles led 38-23 and shot 41.9 percent from the field. The defense held UT Martin to 34.5 percent shooting and 0-7 from behind the three-point line. ORU also had seven steals in the first half.
In the third quarter, Lakota Beatty went on a scoring spree from behind the three-point line. In the middle of the quarter Beatty hit three consecutive three pointers in three consecutive Golden Eagle possessions. This allowed ORU to go on an 11-0 run in the middle of the quarter. ORU shot an impressive 71.4 percent in the third quarter and 60 percent from beyond the arc. At the end of the third quarter, ORU took a 64-36 lead.
The defense continued to hold for ORU in the fourth by only allowing UT Martin to shoot 33.3 percent from the field and score 17 points in the fourth. The Golden Eagles defeated the Skyhawks 82-53 and shot 45.5 percent on the day. ORU went 10-30 from the three-point line and 12-19 from the free-throw line.
In the third quarter, Lakota Beatty scored three consecutive three-point buckets putting the game well out of reach for UT Martin.
UT Martin: Janekia Mason had 11 points with one rebound.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 45.5 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded UT Martin 46-35 in today's contest.
- ORU turned the ball over 17 times, but forced the Skyhawks to turn the ball over 20 times.
- ORU shot 63.2 percent from the free throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 12 points on the day along with one rebound, four assists and one steal.
- Faith Ihim scored 12 points and seven rebounds along with two steals.
- Jordan Gilbert had four points with three rebounds and three assists against UT Martin.
- Maria Martianez scored 16 points along with nine rebounds in the game. Martianez was perfect from the field going 6-6 on the day.
- Lakota Beatty had 18 points with three assists, one steal and six rebounds in the game. Beatty shot
6-10 from behind the three-point line.
- Ashley Beatty gathered 11 points against UT Martin along with four rebounds and three steals.
- ORU had 34 points in the paint and 27 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 17 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will close out their three game homestand against Mid America Christian Wednesday, December 14. The game will be at 7 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. The Evangels currently hold a 10-2 record for the season. It will be an exhibition game for Mid America Christian.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.