Score: Oral Roberts 52 – No. 23 Arizona State 79
Records: Oral Roberts (7-5); ASU (8-2)
Location: Wells Fargo Arena – Tempe, Ariz.
TEMPE, Ariz. – A fast start and hot shooting led No. 23 Arizona State past ORU 79-52 on Saturday afternoon at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.
Arizona State came out in the first quarter and shot 71 percent from the field, but the Golden Eagles made some key shots and trailed ASU 22-15 at the end of the quarter. Kaylan Mayberry and Lakota Beatty combined went 5-5 from the field in the first and the Golden Eagles shot 50 percent from the field.
ORU opened the second quarter with a bucket by Faith Ihim and narrowed to within five points of Arizona State. At the five minute mark ASU went on a 9-0 run and took a 13 point lead. After back-and-forth play the Golden Eagles trailed 44-31 at halftime.
ORU chipped away at Arizona State's lead early in the third quarter. The Golden Eagles trailed by nine at the five minutes mark. ASU closed out the quarter on an 8-0 run and hit a buzzer-beater to take a 60-40 lead.
The Golden Eagles shot 42 percent on the day while ASU shot 56 percent. ORU trailed by as much as 29 points in the fourth quarter. The final score was 79-52.
In the third quarter, Arizona State went on an 8-0 run to take a 20 point lead at the end of the quarter.
Arizona State: Sophie Brunner scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for Arizona State.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 41.7 percent overall in today's game.
- ASU out-rebounded ORU 43-16 in today's contest.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Sun Devils to turn the ball over 14 times.
- ORU shot 62.5 percent from the free throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 12 points on the day along with five assists.
- Faith Ihim scored 10 points and seven rebounds along with one steal.
- Lakota Beatty had seven points in the game.
- Freshman Montserrat Brotons recorded 10 points, one assist and one rebound against ASU.
- ORU had 32 points in the paint and 16 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 14 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will play their final nonconference game of the season at Arkansas on Wednesday, December 21 at 1 p.m. inside Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.