Score: Oral Roberts 70 – Arkansas 60
Records: Oral Roberts (8-5); Arkansas (10-2)
Location: Bud Walton Arena – Fayetteville, Ark.
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Lakota Beatty led the way with 23 points as the ORU women's basketball team defeated Arkansas 70-60 Wednesday afternoon at Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
This was the second power five win of the season for the Golden Eagles. ORU defeated No. 12 Oklahoma 74-67 on December 4 in Norman, Oklahoma.
It was quick start for both teams in the first quarter. ORU and Arkansas both had buckets within the first 30 seconds of the first quarter. After back-and-forth play ORU took a 12-10 lead with 3:20 remaining in the quarter. At the end of the quarter Arkansas led 18-16. The Golden Eagles shot 47 percent from the field with six points in the paint.
Lakota Beatty opened the second quarter with a three-point bucket that sparked a 13-0 run by the Golden Eagles. Maria Martianez scored her second three pointer of the season in the second quarter. Arkansas scored its first bucket five minutes in to the quarter and hit a few shots to bring the game to within nine points. Lakota Beatty hit a three pointer at the buzzer and put ORU up 43-31 at halftime. ORU scored 27 points in the second quarter.
The Golden Eagles came out of halftime and didn't miss a beat. Lakota Beatty hit a big three-point bucket and put ORU up by 15 with six minutes remaining in the third. Arkansas brought the score to within eight points, but hot shooting put ORU up 62-50 at the end of the quarter.
In the fourth quarter, Arkansas brought the score to within eight points, but ORU extended its lead to 11 at the 4:11 mark. The Golden Eagles scored eight points the fourth and held Arkansas to 10. ORU won the game 70-60 and shot 45.5 percent on the day along with 57.1 percent from beyond the arc.
In the second quarter, ORU went on a 13-0 run at the beginning of the quarter and held Arkansas scoreless until the five minute mark. The Golden Eagles scored 27 points in the second quarter.
Arkansas: Jailyn Mason scored 19 points and grabbed six rebounds for Arkansas.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 45.5 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Arkansas 38-34 in today's contest.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Razorbacks to also turn the ball over 10 times.
- ORU shot 50.0 percent from the free throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had nine points on the day along with five rebounds and five assists.
- Faith Ihim scored 10 points and seven rebounds along with one steal.
- Lakota Beatty had a career-high 23 points in the game along with three assists, three rebounds and one steal.
- Freshman Montserrat Brotons recorded six points, one assist and five rebounds against Arkansas.
- Maria Martianez had a productive day with 15 points, six rebounds, two assists, one block and two steals.
- Freshman Rachel Skalnik recorded three points with one rebound, two assists and one steal.
- ORU had 24 points in the paint and 32 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with six points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will open Summit League play at Omaha on Wednesday, December 28 at 7 p.m. inside Baxter Arena in Omaha, Nebraska.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.