Score: Oral Roberts 67 – Omaha 65
Records: Oral Roberts (9-5) (1-0); Omaha (6-7) (0-1)
Location: Baxter Arena – Omaha, Neb.
OMAHA, Neb. – Lakota Beatty hit a three-point bucket in the final seconds to lift ORU above Omaha 67-65 inside Baxter Arena Wednesday evening in Omaha, Nebraska.
Omaha started the game with fast shooting. The Mavericks shot 50 percent from the field in the first quarter and held the Golden Eagles to 38 percent. Omaha opened the game with a three pointer, but ORU rallied and trailed the Mavericks by two at the end of the quarter. Both teams combined had 13 turnovers in the first quarter. Omaha led 17-15.
Omaha jumped out to a nine point lead three minutes in to the second quarter. Omaha improved their lead to 11. ORU shortened Omaha's lead to eight with two minutes remaining in the second. Hillary Hurst scored her first two points of the game and shortened Omaha's lead to six with one minute remaining. ORU trailed 34-28 at halftime. The Golden Eagles shot 34 percent from the field in the first half. Hot shooting allowed Omaha to go 50 percent from the field.
Omaha jumped out to a 13 point lead early in the third quarter until a 5-0 run brought ORU back to within eight points. ORU closed the gap to four points with two minutes remaining in the quarter. Omaha hit a three point bucket before the buzzer to take a 52-45 lead at the end of the third.
In the fourth quarter, ORU brought Omaha's lead down to two with 5:49 remaining in the fourth. Faith Ihim captured her fourth double-double of the season and the Golden Eagles made it a one point game with one minute remaining. Maria Martianez got a block on the defensive end that led to a Lakota Beatty three-point bucket to take a two point lead with four seconds left in the fourth. ORU stopped Omaha on the next possession to win the game 67-65. Omaha 50 percent from the field compared to ORU's 38 percent.
In the third quarter, ORU broke a 13-point deficit down to four, which provided momentum to eventually give the Golden Eagles a chance to win the game in the fourth.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim had 18 points and 11 rebounds in the game. It was her fourth double-double of the season.
Omaha: Michaela Dapprich scored 20 points and six rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 38.1 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU and Omaha each had 32 rebounds.
- ORU turned the ball over 15 times, but forced the Mavericks to turn the ball over 21 times.
- ORU shot 85.7 percent from the free throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 14 points on the night along with three rebounds, one block, four steals and four assists.
- Faith Ihim scored 18 points and 11 rebounds along with two steals and two assists. It was Ihim's fourth double-double of the season.
- Lakota Beatty had 16 points in the game along with two assists, three rebounds and one steal.
- Freshman Montserrat Brotons recorded six points and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had a productive night with seven points, four rebounds, four assists, one block and three steals.
- Ashley Beatty had two points and five rebounds on the night.
- ORU had 30 points in the paint and 26 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 21 points off of turnovers.
- ORU overcame a 13 point deficit in the third quarter.
- The Golden Eagles led the game for a total of five seconds.
The Golden Eagles have a New Year's Eve Summit League contest against Fort Wayne inside the Mabee Center at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, December 31.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.