Score: Oral Roberts 70 – North Dakota State 50
Records: Oral Roberts (12-10) (4-5); North Dakota State (5-17) (3-6)
Location: Scheels Center – Fargo, N.D.
FARGO, N.D. – Faith Ihim grabbed her sixth double-double of the season as the Golden Eagles cruised past North Dakota State 70-50 Saturday afternoon at the Scheels Center in Fargo, North Dakota.
North Dakota State opened the game with a three-point basket from Rylee Nudell. The Golden Eagles answered with a jumper from Kaylan Mayberry. ORU led the Bison at the end of the first 16-15. The Golden Eagles shot 36.9 percent from the field in the first and grabbed six offensive rebounds.
The Bison took a 27-22 lead going in to the media timeout in the second quarter. The Golden Eagles stormed back and ended the quarter on an 8-0 run that began at the 3:03 mark. ORU led North Dakota State at halftime 34-29. In the first half, ORU shot 40.6 percent overall from the field and the Golden Eagles defense forced 10 Bison turnovers. ORU grabbed nine offensive rebounds in the first and scored 18 points in the paint and 16 points off of turnovers.
ORU came out of the locker room after halftime and had a big third quarter performance. The Golden Eagles extended their run from the end of the first half to a 14-2 run. North Dakota State's Brianna Jones hit a two-point bucket to end the Bison's drought. ORU went on another 11-0 run before the Bison scored on an and-one bucket at the 3:17 mark. Faith Ihim secured her sixth double-double of the season in the third. The Golden Eagles led 53-39 at the end of the third.
The Golden Eagles went up by as much as 24 in the fourth. ORU ended the day defeating North Dakota State 70-50. Four Golden Eagles scored in double digits. Despite going 2-12 from three-point range, ORU went 29-61 from the field for 48 percent overall. The ORU defense forced 18 turnovers by the Bison and capitalized with 25 points off of turnovers. The Golden Eagles grabbed 13 offensive rebounds throughout the game.
In the third quarter, ORU went on two double digit runs that pushed the Golden Eagles ahead of North Dakota State by 24.
North Dakota State: Taylor Thunstedt scored 10 points and Emily Spier grabbed eight rebounds for the Bison.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 47.5 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded North Dakota State 37-26.
- The Golden Eagles had a 16.7 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Bison to turn the ball over 18 times.
- ORU shot 83.3 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 21 points on the day along with three rebounds, six steals and four assists.
- Faith Ihim scored 14 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in today's game for her sixth double-double of the season. Ihim dished out two assists and made one block.
- Maria Martianez had 16 points and seven rebounds in the game along with one assist and one steal.
- Hillary Hurst scored 10 point in today's game with five rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal.
- Rachel Skalnik scored five points and grabbed one rebound in today's game along with one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled two points and one steal.
- Ashley Beatty scored two points and grabbed three rebounds on the day. She also had one assist and made two steals.
- ORU had 38 points in the paint and 12 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 25 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will host Western Illinois on Wednesday, February 1 at 7 p.m. inside the Mabee Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.