Score: Oral Roberts 53 – Tulsa 41
Records: Oral Roberts (3-3) (0-0); Tulsa (3-4) (0-0)
Location: Reynolds Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Faith Ihim tallied her second double-double of the season with 22 points and 14 rebounds as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team won its fourth consecutive Mayor's Cup, 53-41, against Tulsa Wednesday evening at the Reynolds Center.
After the first few possessions and getting down 2-0, the Golden Eagles sparked an 8-0 run early in the first quarter. Tulsa came back to tie the game before ORU went on another 6-0 run prior to the first media timeout. The Golden Eagles closed out the first 10 minutes leading the Golden Hurricane 20-14. ORU shot 57 percent from the field and 40 percent from the three-point line. Faith Ihim led the way with eight points and three rebounds in the first quarter.
The Golden Eagles shooting percentage fell in the second quarter. Tulsa cut it close and made it a four point game in the fourth quarter. Overall, ORU shot 39 percent in the first half and went in to halftime up 28-22. Faith Ihim had nine points and eight rebounds in the first 20 minutes of play.
ORU came out strong in the third quarter by extending its lead to 11 within the first four minutes. Faith Ihim sparked a Tulsa timeout off a breakaway steal and layup that put her at 11 points for the game.. Ihim grabbed her second double-double of the season just under the four minute mark in the quarter. Despite missing shots late in the quarter, ORU led Tulsa 39-32 at the end of the third.
The Golden Eagles took another 11-point lead in the fourth quarter. Tulsa clawed back to bring the game within six, but ORU closed out the Mayor's Cup on a 6-0 run due to free-throws and defeated the Golden Hurricane 53-41. ORU shot 37 percent overall in the game and recorded 11 steals. The Golden Eagle defense held Tulsa to single digit scoring in the second and fourth quarters along with keeping the Golden Hurricane to a 26.5 shooting percentage.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim led the team with 22 points and 14 rebounds for her second double-double of the season.
Tulsa: Alexis Gaulden and Shug Dickson each scored nine points. Kendrian Elliott recorded 13 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 37.0 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Tulsa out-rebounded ORU 47-45.
- The Golden Eagles had a 21.4 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Golden Hurricane to turn the ball over 14 times.
- ORU shot 47.6 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 22 points and recorded 14 rebounds in the game for her second double-double of the season. Ihim also had three steals, one block and one assist.
- Maria Martianez had four points and eight rebounds with three assists and two blocks.
- Rachel Skalnik scored five points in the game and grabbed three rebounds.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled four points and grabbed two rebounds in the game.
- Keni Jo Lippe grabbed one rebound in tonight's game.
- Maya Mayberry scored nine points with three rebounds, two assists and one steal. Mayberry made her first career start in tonight's game.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied four points and grabbed six rebounds. Gilbert grabbed five steals in the game along with one assist and one block.
- Sarah Garvie scored three points with one rebound and one assist along with two steals.
- Regan Schumacher scored two points and grabbed two rebounds.
- ORU had 28 points in the paint and 15 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 14 points off turnovers.
ORU embarks on a trip north to Missoula, Montana, to compete in the University of Montana Lady Griz Classic, December 1-2. The Golden Eagles will face Long Beach State Friday, December 1 at 6 p.m. and then Cal State Fullerton Saturday, December 2 at 6 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.