Score: Oral Roberts 61 – Arkansas 74
Records: ORU (3-4) (0-0); ARK (5-2) (0-0)
Location: Bud Walton Arena – Fayetteville, Ark.
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Montserrat Brotons tied her career high with 16 points as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to Arkansas, 74-61, Wednesday evening at Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Arkansas jumped out of the gate with a 9-0 run that was then accrued to 13-2 before the first media timeout. The Golden Eagles battled back to cut the lead to five, but after the opening period trailed 20-11. The Razorbacks then went on an 11-0 run in the second and took their largest lead in the first half by 17 points. Arkansas continued to build on its lead and took its' largest lead of the game in the third quarter with a 23 point advantage. At the end of the third and in to the fourth quarter, ORU went on a 10-1 run to cut Arkansas's lead to 14 before taking it down more to 11 with six minutes to play.
Both teams shot 34 percent in the game and the Golden Eagles had a three-point average of 27 percent. Free throws down the stretch proved to be the key factor for the Razorbacks as Arkansas had 11 more attempts and connected on 82 percent. Keni Jo Lippe went a perfect 10-for-10 from the charity stripe for ORU and Montserrat Brotons went 4-for-8 to combine for all of the Golden Eagles free-throw points and attempts.
Keni Jo Lippe was the leading scorer for ORU. Lippe was one point shy of tying her career high and was one rebound shy of a double-double. She had 23 points and went 6-for-12 from the field and 1-for-2 from long range. Montserrat Brotons tied her career high that she set at Kansas with 16 points shooting 6-for-13 overall. Lippe led the Golden Eagles in the rebounding category with nine. Lakota Beatty tied her career and season high with seven rebounds on the night.
Arkansas was led by Sapulpa, Oklahoma, native Chelsea Dungee with 21 points. Dungee shot 7-for-19 overall and 7-for-7 from the free throw line. Kiara Williams recorded 11 rebounds for the Razorbacks. ORU out-scored Arkansas in the fourth quarter 23-18 and in the second half, 38-36.
Oral Roberts: Keni Jo Lippe led the team with 23 points and nine rebounds.
Arkansas: Chelsea Dungee scored 21 points and Kiara Williams had 11 boards.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 34.4 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Arkansas out-rebounded ORU, 45-41. The Golden Eagles had 11 offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 27.8 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 19 times, but forced the Razorbacks to turn the ball over 14 times.
- ORU shot 77.8 percent from the free-throw line.
- Montserrat Brotons tied her career high with 16 points. Brotons also had seven rebounds.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 23 points and recorded nine rebounds with one assist and one steal.
- Sarah Garvie had eight points with two boards, two assists and one steal.
- Maya Mayberry tallied seven points with three rebounds. Mayberry had made two assists and two steals.
- ORU had 31 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 13 points off of turnovers and 28 points in the paint.
ORU will return to the Mabee Center to begin a three game homestand starting with Southern Utah Saturday, December 1 at 2 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.