Score: Oral Roberts 73 – Sam Houston State 62
Records: ORU (6-5) (0-0); SHSU (5-4) (0-0)
Location: Johnson Coliseum – Huntsville, Texas
HUNTSVILLE, Texas – Lakota Beatty tied her career high with 26 points and was one of three Golden Eagles to score in double digits as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team defeated Sam Houston State, 73-62, Friday evening in Huntsville, Texas.
The Golden Eagles began the game trailing 11-9 at the end of the first quarter before having a breakout second period going on a 19-1 run in 3:30 that was then extended in to a 24-3 run over the span of six minutes. Hot shooting from Lakota Beatty allowed her to score 16 points in the first half going 6-for-9 overall and 4-for-7 from the three-point line. ORU out-scored Sam Houston State 32-11 in the second quarter alone and took a 41-22 lead in to halftime.
ORU extended its lead to a 27 point advantage with just under five minutes to play in the third quarter. Despite being down by a large margin, Sam Houston State powered back and tied the Golden Eagles 18-18 in the third and out-scored ORU in the fourth 22-14. The Bearkats did not allow ORU to score a field goal in the final five minutes of the game. The Golden Eagles only points in the final minutes came from free throws.
For the first time this season, ORU was perfect from the free throw line going 18-for-18. Keni Jo Lippe scored eight of her 17 points from the line leading the way for the Golden Eagles. Jordan Gilbert went 2-for-2 from the charity stripe and 4-for-7 overall in the game. Gilbert set a career high with seven steals. Montserrat Brotons went 4-for-4 from the line and 2-for-3 overall for eight points and four rebounds.
Sam Houston State had four double-digit scorers in the game and had a double-double by Lydia Baxter with 16 points and 14 rebounds. Jaylonn Walker went 6-for-18 overall for 14 points. The Golden Eagles held Walker to 2-for-10 from beyond the arc. ORU forced 24 Sam Houston State turnovers.
Oral Roberts: Lakota Beatty led the team with 26 points and six rebounds.
Sam Houston State: Lydia Baxter had a double-double with 16 points and 14 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 40.4 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded SHSU 37-35. The Golden Eagles had 11 offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 34.6 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 20 times, but forced the Bearkats to turn the ball over 24 times.
- ORU shot 100 percent from the free-throw line (18-for-18).
- Lakota Beatty tied her career high with 26 points going 9-for-13 overall. Beatty also had six rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Keni Jo Lippe contributed with 17 points and five rebounds. Lippe also had five assists. She went a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
- Jordan Gilbert led the team with a career high seven steals. Gilbert had 10 points, five rebounds and four assists on the night.
- Montserrat Brotons recorded eight points, four rebounds and two steals.
- ORU had 32 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 26 points off of turnovers and 20 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles head to Houston, Texas, for a Sunday, December 16, matchup against Houston Baptist in Sharp Gym at 2 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.