Score: Oral Roberts 74 – Denver 66
Records: ORU (13-11) (6-5); DU (12-11) (5-5)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team evened up the season series with the Denver Pioneers Wednesday evening earning a 74-66 win at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagle defense came out and made a statement in the first quarter coming out and getting seven steals in the opening 10 minutes of play and forcing eight turnovers. ORU out-scored Denver 20-13 in the first before going on a 4:20 scoring drought in the second period. Denver went on an 8-0 run to take a one point lead with 4:37 to go in the second. ORU responded with a 13-0 run of its own that was then extended to a 17-4 run to close out the first half. Regan Schumacher had the final points of the half with a big offensive rebound and put back to put ORU up 42-30 at the break.
ORU shot 33 percent overall from the field in the second half, but took its largest lead of the night by 15 with 8:18 to go in the fourth quarter. Denver hit three consecutive three-point buckets on back-to-back-to-back possessions to cut the deficit to five with 2:50 to play. Lakota Beatty hit a long-range shot of her own to take an eight point lead. Down the stretch, Beatty, Jordan Gilbert and Maya Mayberry went 6-for-6 from the free throw line to keep the lead at eight.
Three Golden Eagles scored in double-digits in the game. Beatty led the team with 24 points going 9-for-21 overall and 4-for-11 from three-point range. Montserrat Brotons and Keni Jo Lippe each had 12 points. Brotons went a perfect 5-for-5 from the field and Lippe went to the charity stripe nine times and connected on seven of them. ORU shot 39.1 percent in the game and 77.3 percent from the free throw line.
Madison Nelson led the Pioneers with 16 points and eight rebounds. Lauren Loven started 4-for-6 from the three-point line in the first half and finished the night 5-for-9 and 5-for-12 overall for 15 points. Samantha Romanowski recorded 10 points of her own as the Pioneers shot 43.9 percent overall and 40 percent from the three-point line. Denver shot 75 percent overall in the fourth quarter.
Oral Roberts: Beatty had 24 points while Lippe and Schumacher each had seven rebounds.
Denver: Nelson led Denver with 16 points and eight rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 39.1 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Denver 42-34. The Golden Eagles had 15 offensive boards for 15 second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles had a 31.8 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 17 times, but forced the Pioneers to turn the ball over 20 times.
- ORU shot 77.3 percent from the free-throw line (17-for-22).
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds with four assists and two steals.
- Montserrat Brotons scored 12 points with two rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty led the way with 24 points. She had five rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Sarah Garvie had a career high six steals in the game.
- ORU had 15 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 17 points off of turnovers and 30 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles hit the road for the next four games beginning with a trip to Vermillion, South Dakota, to face the South Dakota Coyotes Saturday, February 9 at 1 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.