Score: Oral Roberts 65 – North Dakota State 54
Records: ORU (14-12) (7-6); NDSU (6-18) (3-9)
Location: Scheels Center – Fargo, N.D.
FARGO, N.D. – Sophomore center Regan Schumacher grabbed her first career double-double Wednesday evening in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's 65-54 win at North Dakota State in Fargo, North Dakota.
Keni Jo Lippe got the game going for ORU scoring her first points from long range. After back and forth play in the opening period, the Bison hit a buzzer beater at the end of the quarter to take a 21-19 lead. The opening period saw the score tied seven times. The Bison continued shooting well and out-scored ORU 13-11 in the second quarter and took a 34-30 lead in to the half. North Dakota State shot 50 percent overall in the first half. Cold shooting from the field in the second quarter gave ORU a 38 percent average. The Golden Eagles were down by as much as eight in the first half.
ORU came out in the second half and went on an 8-0 run to take a three point lead. The Golden Eagles didn't look back and led the remainder of the game. Regan Schumacher went a perfect 6-for-6 from the free throw line and had eight rebounds in the second half of play. ORU's defense held NDSU to 27 percent shooting overall and 20 points. Maya Mayberry scored 11 of her 14 points in the last 20 minutes. The Golden Eagles shot 39 percent overall in the second half.
The Golden Eagles had three double-digit scorers in the game and were led by Lippe who had 22 points. Lippe went 6-for-12 from the field and 4-for-7 from long range. Mayberry went 6-for-19 overall for 14 points. Schumacher tied her career high in points and rebounds with 12 points and 10 boards. Five of her rebounds were offensive. Montserrat Brotons had a career high four steals in the game as well. ORU tied its season low with five turnovers.
Sofia Zivaljevic led the Bison with 16 points and went 5-for-11 from the field. Michelle Gaislerova had 15 points and shot 50 percent overall. Marina Fernandez grabbed nine rebounds for North Dakota State. The Bison shot 39 percent overall from the field and 40 percent from three-point range. NDSU went 8-for-20 from beyond the arc.
Oral Roberts: Lippe scored 22 points in the game and Schumacher grabbed 10 rebounds.
North Dakota State: Zivaljevic led North Dakota State with 16 points and Fernandez grabbed nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 38.6 percent overall in tonight's game.
- NDSU out-rebounded ORU 37-35. The Golden Eagles had 10 offensive boards for 12 second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles had a 35 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over five times, but forced the Bison to turn the ball over 12 times.
- ORU shot 73.7 percent from the free-throw line (14-for-19).
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds with two assists.
- Maya Mayberry scored 14 points with two rebounds, three assists and two blocks.
- Regan Schumacher had her first career double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. She also had one block and one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons made a career high four steals.
- ORU had 18 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 17 points off of turnovers and 20 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles travel close to the Canadian border to Grand Forks, North Dakota, to play the North Dakota Fighting Hawks Saturday, February 16 at 1 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.