Score: Oral Roberts 79 – Wichita State 66
Records: ORU (3-0) (0-0); WSU (0-2) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Rylie Torrey scored a career high 22 points as the ORU women's basketball team defeated the Wichita State Shockers, 79-66, Monday evening at the Mabee Center.
A back and forth scoring battle started things off at the Mabee Center as both the Golden Eagles and Shockers managed to make it a 16-16 game in the first eight minutes. ORU had the upper hand in the opening period going up 20-18. Rylie Torrey led the team with eight points and hit two three-point shots.
After going down by one point to start the second, ORU went on an 11-0 run before the media timeout to go up 31-21. The Golden Eagles out-scored the Shockers 17-7 in the second period and led at the break 37-25. ORU went 42 percent overall in the first half and 100 percent (4-for-4) from the charity stripe.
The Golden Eagles led by as much as 19 in the third and maintained their lead through the rest of the game. Wichita State narrowed the gap to make it a 14 point game to close out the third. ORU went a perfect 7-for-7 from the free-throw line in the third.
The Shockers went down by 19 in the fourth, but brought it to a nine point game with 3:41 to play. Macy Gore hit a key three-point buck to extend the lead back to double-digits. ORU held the lead to win 79-66. Macy Gore went 3-for-5 from the three-point line in the game and scored a season high 16 points.
Oral Roberts: Rylie Torrey led the team with a career high 22 points and Montserrat Brotons had nine rebounds, which tied her career high.
Wichita State: DJ McCarty scored 17 points and three Shockers had two rebounds each.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 41.7 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Wichita State, 39-37.
- The Golden Eagles had a 43.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 12 times, but forced the Shockers to turn the ball over 11 times.
- Montserrat Brotons went 4-for-8 from the field for eight points and nine rebounds to tie a career high.
- Sarah Garvie had 17 points on the night going 5-for-14 with four three-pointers and three free throws.
- Rylie Torrey had a career high 22 points and went 6-for-11 from long-range and a perfect 4-for-4 from the line.
- Macy Gore recorded 16 points with five rebounds and five assists.
- ORU had eight bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 12 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles have their first road test of the season Thursday, November 14 against the Arkansas Razorbacks at 7 p.m. in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.