Score: Oral Roberts 65 – Tulsa 67
Records: ORU (3-3) (0-0); TU (2-2) (0-0)
Location: Reynolds Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The ORU women's basketball team fell short in the final seconds, 67-65, to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane Thursday evening at the Reynolds Center.
The Golden Eagles came out playing tough defense and held Tulsa to a 5-plus minute scoring drought and forcing the Golden Hurricane to go 0-for-10 from the field in five minutes in the first quarter. The Golden Eagles led 11-6 after the first 10 minutes.
ORU extended the lead to nine points in the second. Tulsa came back and cut it to four until an and-one bucket by Regan Schumacher. Schumacher made it a seven point advantage by connecting on the three-point play. The Golden Eagles went up by as much as 13 in the second quarter and led 29-18 at halftime. ORU shot 46 percent in the first half and held Tulsa to 29 percent.
The Golden Eagles went up by as much as 16 in the third, but a strong comeback by Tulsa brought it to within in six. ORU regained an eight point lead, 45-37, to close out the third period with a run to the basket by Keni Jo Lippe. Tulsa out-scored ORU, 19-16 in the third.
Tulsa took a one point lead with 7:20 to play before Lippe took the lead back with a three-point bucket. The Golden Hurricane went on a 14-3 run in the fourth to go up by as much as three. ORU regained the lead with 4:15 to play. Down the stretch the team's battled and exchanged fouls and free throws. With 5.3 seconds to play, ORU had a one point lead and Tulsa scored with the and-one and capitalized. The Golden Hurricane finished with a 67-65 advantage.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 47.6 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Tulsa, 29-26.
- The Golden Eagles had a 39.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 33 times, but forced the Golden Hurricane to turn the ball over 20 times.
- Rylie Torrey recorded 11 points with two rebounds and two steals.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 21 points on the night with five rebounds. She went 8-for-11 from the free throw line.
- Macy Gore recorded 11 points with five rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- ORU had eight bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 21 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles have a quick turnaround and will face the Houston Baptist Huskies Saturday, November 23 at 2 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. It will be Native American Heritage Day and the team will wear the Nike N7 uniforms.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.