Score: Oral Roberts 73 – Houston Baptist 74
Records: ORU (3-4) (0-0); HBU (3-2) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Montserrat Brotons recorded her first double-double of the season as the ORU women's basketball team fell short in the final seconds, 74-73, to Houston Baptist Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
ORU came out and took an early 22-14 lead at the end of the first 10 minutes of play as Keni Jo Lippe started with seven points. The Golden Eagles shot 40 percent from field. The Huskies scored 14 points, but shot 60 percent to open the game.
The Huskies brought it back to within five with 1:34 to play in the second, but ORU extended the lead to 10 after Montserrat Brotons connected on the and-one opportunity. A close battle kept ORU on top with a 42-32 halftime advantage.
Lippe scored 15 points in the third quarter as the Golden Eagles went up by as much as 19 with 3:02 to play in the third quarter. Houston Baptist battled to end the quarter down 64-49. ORU went back up by 18 with 8:40 to play in the fourth before HBU went on an 8-0 run to bring it within 10. The Golden Eagles went on a 5:39 scoring drought to close out the game as the Huskies went on a 12-0 run to end the game and win 74-73.
Oral Roberts: Keni Jo Lippe finished the game with 27 points. Brotons recorded a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Houston Baptist: Julija Vukakovic scored 16 points and Marilyn Nzoiwu grabbed six rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 38.5 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded HBU, 35-21.
- The Golden Eagles had a 43.5 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 22 times, but forced the Huskies to turn the ball over 19 times.
- Rylie Torrey recorded 12 points with five rebounds and two steals.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 27 points on the night with five rebounds. She went 9-for-9 from the free throw line.
- Montserrat Brotons secured her first double-double of the season with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- ORU had six bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 16 points off of turnovers.
Oral Roberts will have a week between games before the welcome the Sam Houston State Bearkats to the Mabee Center Saturday, November 30 at 2 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.