Score: Oral Roberts 64 – Sam Houston State 41
Records: ORU (4-4) (0-0); SHSU (2-3) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Keni Jo Lippe recorded her second double-double of the season as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team defeated Sam Houston State, 64-41, Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
The game started with back and forth play that gave ORU a 6-2 lead, five minutes in. Montserrat Brotons had a step back jumper in the paint to put ORU up 10-8 before the break. After 10 minutes, the Golden Eagle had a two-point advantage despite shooting 21 percent from the field. Brotons led the team with four points in the opening quarter.
The Golden Eagles took a 27-17 point lead with 49 seconds to play in the first half. Keni Jo Lippe had 11 second quarter points. With time expiring the Bearkats hit a three-point bucket and ORU went in to the break with a 29-22 lead. ORU shot 37 percent in the second quarter to up the overall percentage to 29. Brotons scored six points in the second and had 10 first half points.
ORU had as much as a 19 point lead in the third. Rylie Torrey scored eight points in the third, her first points of the game. Lippe had seven third quarter points along with two rebounds. Lippe and Brotons headed in to the fourth on double-double watch, both needing two rebounds each. The Golden Eagles led 46-29 at the end of the third.
Lippe recorded her third career double-double and second of the season in the fourth quarter. It was also Lippe's fifth-straight 20-plus point game of the season. The Golden Eagles went up by as much as 30 points in the final period on a 7-0 run with 3:22 to play. ORU shot 45 percent in the fourth and held the Bearkats to 12 points.
Oral Roberts: Keni Jo Lippe finished the game with 23 points and 11 rebounds for her second double-double of the season.
Sam Houston State: Faith Cook scored 10 points and Kiera McKinney grabbed eight rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 33.8 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded SHSU, 46-38.
- The Golden Eagles had a 45.5 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 15 times, but forced the Bearkats to turn the ball over 24 times.
- Rylie Torrey recorded 10 points with two rebounds.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 23 points on the night with 11 rebounds for her third career double-double. She went 8-for-9 from the free throw line.
- Montserrat Brotons had 15 points and nine rebounds on the day.
- ORU had four bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 23 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles travel to Cedar City, Utah, to face the Southern Utah Thunderbirds Tuesday, December 3 at 1 p.m. CST.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.