Score: Western Illinois 3 - Oral Roberts 2
Records: WIU (2-9-0, 1-1-0 SL) - ORU (5-7-2, 1-2-0 SL)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts women's soccer team fell to Western Illinois, 3-2, Sunday afternoon at the Case Soccer Complex. The Golden Eagles move to 1-2-0 in Summit League play with five league matches remaining.
Western Illinois (2-9-0, 1-1-0 SL) struck for the first goal of the match in the 23rd minute after a cross from WIU's Daniela Salinas that was redirected on goal by Brianna Hughes.
ORU (5-7-2, 1-2-0 SL) answered with two straight goals to eventually take the lead. The equalizer came just before halftime off the foot of Caitlyn Hanslovan for her third goal of the year. ORU's leading goal scorer Kayla Keller gave the squad the lead three minutes into the second half after she put in a ball on a free kick from Ashley Martin.
The Leathernecks would answer the ORU goals with two of their own to secure their first league win of the season. The game-winner came in the 77th minute after the ball was bounced around the box and sent in the net by Michaela Cody.
Inside the Box Score
- Keller led the team with four shots while Hanslovan, Sam Forgione and Kaily Cox each went for two apiece.
- The Golden Eagles went for 10 shots in the second period compared to just five in the opening half.
- Martin was credited with the only assist of the day for the Golden Eagles.
- Bohnenstiehl made three saves in the match including a leaping save in the second half to prevent a Leatherneck goal. Maddie Rhodes made one save in the first half of play for ORU.
- ORU was called for six fouls in the match while the Leathernecks were called for five.
- With the WIU victory, the Leathernecks tied the all-time series at nine wins each.
- Daniela Salinas led WIU with four shot attempts.
ORU hits the road Friday for a league match at IUPUI. First touch is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Indianapolis.
For more information and updates about ORU women's soccer, follow @ORUWSoccer on Twitter, or visit ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.