Score: Oral Roberts 3 - IUPUI 1
Records: ORU (6-7-2, 2-2-0 SL) - IUPUI (5-6-2, 0-2-1 SL)
Location: Michael A. Carroll Stadium - Indianapolis, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS - The Oral Roberts women's soccer team ended its three-match losing streak Friday night after defeating IUPUI, 3-1, at Carroll Stadium. The Golden Eagles improve to 6-7-2 overall and 2-2-0 in Summit League action with just four league matches remaining.
"IUPUI is a quality side with a great attacking presence. To get a win on the road against a team such as IUPUI is a big achievement," said head coach Roger Bush. "It's of course significant to our goal. But it's important for us to turn focus to the next challenge. I expect our senior captains will help us shape our focus for the next step."
Senior defender Amber Mitchell scored her first career goal while Kayla Keller and Megan Guico sealed the match as the Golden Eagles offense broke open for three goals for the first time since Sept. 13 when ORU defeated Indiana State, 3-1, at the Case Soccer Complex.
Mitchell struck in the 39th minute, breaking the scoreless half with a shot from 18-yards out after being setup by Ashley Martin.
Keller pushed the Golden Eagles ahead 2-0 ten minutes into the second half with a shot to the upper-right from 10-yards away. Her goal was assisted on by Amanda Dial.
With ORU leading 2-0 in the second half, the Jaguars answered with a goal of their own to cut the lead in half in the 65th minute. Meghan Day scored a goal from 18-yards out for her first career goal.
"It was a great team response tonight," Bush continued. "The play in the midfield was sharp, the backline played tremendous, and the forward four were very active much of the night."
A San Diego, Calif. Native, Guico nailed a penalty kick shot in the 87th to put the match out of reach of the Jaguars. It was her second goal of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU outshot the Jaguars 18-11 on the night. IUPUI put eight shots on net compared to the Golden Eagles' six.
- Maddie Rhodes played her first complete match of the season in goal for ORU. The senior out of Tulsa made a season-high seven saves and allowed only one goal in 90 minutes.
- Both Brittney Lawrence and Kayla Keller led ORU with three shots each.
- Ten ORU players attempted shots in the match.
- Amber Mitchell scored her first career goal in the 39th minute to give ORU the early lead.
- Ashley Martin assisted on her second goal of the season while Amanda Dial assisted on Kayla Keller's goal for her first helper of the year.
The Golden Eagles will take on Fort Wayne Sunday afternoon at noon to finish off its east coast road trip.
For more information and updates about ORU women's soccer, follow @ORUWSoccer on Twitter, or visit ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.