Score: Oral Roberts 3, Northwestern State 1 (25-12, 20-25, 25-13, 25-14)
Records: Oral Roberts 1-1; Northwestern State 1-1
Score: Oral Roberts 3, Tennessee State 0 (25-16, 25-16, 25-18)
Records: Oral Roberts 2-1; Tennessee State 0-3
Location: Gillom Sports Center – Oxford, Miss.
OXFORD, Miss. – The Oral Roberts University volleyball team swept through the final day of the Magnolia Invitational Saturday with a 3-1 win over Northwestern State and a 3-0 shutout against Tennessee State.
The Golden Eagles improved to 2-1 on the year with the sweep on Saturday to match last year's start. Saturday's matches showed dominance by ORU on the offensive side of the net by hitting above .320 in each match.
Laura Milos paced the Golden Eagles with pair of 20-plus kill performances and tallied 56 for the three-match tournament. The sophomore recorded 23 kills against Northwestern State while adding 20 against TSU.
Lucija Bojanjac recorded 42 and 36 assists on Saturday while adding 13 digs against Northwestern State for her first double-double of the season.
Oral Roberts: Laura Milos recorded 23 kills against Northwestern State and 20 kills against Tennessee State to lead all players. Lucija Bojanjac added 42 assists and 36 assists for ORU with 13 digs against Northwestern State for a double-double.
Northwestern State: Lauren Agan finished with 12 kills while Bailey Martin added 15 digs.
Tennessee State: Samantha Beltran posted 22 assists as Madison Halterman recorded 15 digs.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Golden Eagles hit above .300 in the first, third and fourth sets against Northwestern State.
- Shelby Cox added 12 kills with a .611 hitting percentage.
- Lucija Bojanjac posted her 12th double-double of her career and first of the season with 42 assists and 13 digs.
- Jovana Poljasevic, Sadie Schaffner, Laura Milos and Cox all hit above .400 in the match.
- Nika Mostahinic posted nine kills and a .538 hitting percentage to lead ORU.
- Bojanjac narrowly missed her second double-double of the day with 36 assists and nine digs.
- Milos added 20 kills against TSU to give her 56 for the tournament.
- ORU hit .341 in the final set against TSU.
NEWS AND NOTES
- ORU now leads the all-time series with Northwestern State 5-3.
- ORU now leads the all-time series with Tennessee State 2-0.
- ORU hit above the .300 mark in both matches after just reaching the mark five times last season.
- For the second straight season ORU rebounds to start the season 2-1 after falling in the season opener.
The Golden Eagles will travel east on I-44for the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational hosted by Missouri State. ORU will open action on Friday against Marquette before playing the Lady Bears and Miami on Saturday.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.