Score: Oral Roberts 3 – Marquette 2 (25-20, 25-23, 26-28, 16-25, 15-12)
Records: ORU (3-1) – Marquette (3-1)
Location: Hammons Student Center – Springfield, Mo.
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team clinched the program's 900th win with a 3-2 (25-20, 25-23, 26-28, 16-25, 15-12)win against Marquette in the first game of the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational, hosted by Missouri State Friday evening.
Laura Milos led the ORU attack with 33 kills. It was her first 30-kill performance of the season and the second of her career after posting 38 in a win over Arkansas last season. Lucija Bojanjac distributed the ball to the tune of 56 assists and also had two of the team's four aces. Bojanjac also notched a double-double with a team high 15 digs.
Marquette got 28 kills from Taylor Louis and 25 digs from Lauren Houg.
ORU nearly led from wire to wire in the first two sets and was one point away from a sweep before Marquette rallied and won the next two sets.
After dropping back-to-back sets, ORU recovered and the decisive set was tied 12-12. After a timeout by ORU, the Golden Eagles got a kill from Milos and a block from Sadie Schaffner and Shelby Cox to win the match.
Oral Roberts: Milos led all attackers with 33 kills. Bojanjac led the way with 56 kills and 15 digs.
Marquette: Louis had a team high 28 kills and added 13 digs. Blasier had a team-high 51 assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU got the win despite hitting just .228 for the match. The best set was the final set when ORU had 10 kills and just two errors for a .364 clip.
- Marquette had six blocks in the match to ORU's four.
- ORU used six kills from Milos, leading nearly the entire way in a 25-20 set one victory.
- The Golden Eagles carried the momentum into the second set as well, grabbing a 22-19 lead on a kill from Milos off a pass from Nika Mostahinic. ORU was able to withstand the Marquette rally and win 25-23 after Marquette scored four straight points to take a 23-22 lead.
- The break did not stifle ORU and an ace by Bojanjac put ORU up 14-9 in the third set.
- Marquette scored four straight after that and it was a battle to the finish with neither team able to pull away. After falling behind 24-21, ORU scored three straight to extend the set but eventually fell 28-26.
- After the heartbreaking loss in set three, ORU struggled to regain the momentum and fell 25-16 in the fourth set.
- Much like set three, the decisive fifth set was a barn-burner to the very end with ORU taking advantage of Marquette miscues for a 15-12 victory.
ORU will take on the hosts from Missouri State (1 p.m.) and Miami (5:30 p.m.) Saturday to close out the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.