Score: Oral Roberts 3 – North Dakota State 1 (25-17, 25-21, 23-25, 25-18)
Records: Oral Roberts (7-7, 1-0); North Dakota State (9-5, 0-1)
Location: Bunker Fieldhouse – Fargo, N.D.
FARGO, N.D. – The Oral Roberts University volleyball team opened the 2015 Summit League season with a 3-1 win over North Dakota State Friday night at Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse.
The Golden Eagles improved to 7-7 on the season and 1-0 in Summit League action with a solid performance on both sides of the net. ORU controlled most of the match and held off a late rally in the final set to knock off the Bison, 25-17, 25-21, 23-25, 25-18.
Lucija Bojanjac tallied 51 assists as she paced the ORU offense. It was the fourth time this season she recorded more than 50 assists in a match as she added 12 digs for her fifth double-double.
After building a 16-8 lead in the final set, ORU fought off an intense rally by the Bison as NDSU cut the advantage to 19-15. However, Nika Mostahinic and Laura Milos combined to score four of the final five points in a 5-2 run for the Golden Eagles to close out the win.
Milos finished with 23 kills and 14 digs to post her fifth double-double of the season. Mostahinic added 14 kills and a .343 hitting percentage in the win.
Defensively, Jovana Poljasevic had a season-high eight blocks as the Golden Eagles tallied 11 blocks as a team for a second straight match.
Oral Roberts: Lucija Bojanjac and Laura Milos posted double-doubles for ORU. Bojanjac tallied 51 assists and 12 digs while Milos finished with 23 kills and 14 digs.
North Dakota State: Jenni Fassbender led the Bison with 16 kills while Mikaela Purnell posted a double-double with 10 kills and 17 digs.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Milos tallied her 11th double digit kill match and third straight as she added 23 in the match.
- Bojanjac posted her second straight match with at least 50 assists and fourth time this season.
- Mostahinic added 14 kills for her second most kills this season.
- ORU held NDSU to below a .200 hitting percentage in each set Friday night. The .118 hitting percentage in the match was the third lowest for a Golden Eagle opponent this season.
- Jovana Poljasevic added six block assists for a season-high and also finished with a season-high eight total blocks.
- The Golden Eagles tallied 11 blocks as a team for the second straight match as they equaled the second highest total of the season.
- ORU finished with a season-high 66 digs on the season.
Oral Roberts heads to South Dakota State Saturday evening for an 8 p.m. match in Brookings, S.D.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.