Score: Denver 3 – Oral Roberts 1 (25-14,31-29,30-32,25-21)
Records: Denver (19-4, 7-1); Oral Roberts (10-10, 4-3)
Location: Hamilton Gym – Denver, Colo.
DENVER, Colo. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team was unable to complete a late match rally falling 3-1 at league leading Denver Friday night in Summit League action.
Both teams battled in the middle sets as it took 30 points to win the second and third sets, however the Pioneers outlasted the Golden Eagles for a 25-14, 31-29, 30-32, 25-21 victory. The win keeps Denver at the top of the league standings at 7-1 while ORU falls to 4-3 and has now dropped three straight.
Despite errors on both the offensive and defensive sides of the net, the Golden Eagles were able to push the defending league champions finishing with a better hitting percentage at a .262 clip. It was the highest hitting percentage since hitting .292 in a win over Miami.
Sophomore Laura Milos earned her 12th match with more than 20 kills finishing with 22. Offensively, Milos was joined by Jovana Poljasevic who returned to the starting lineup to finish with career-high 15 kills and a .583 hitting percentage.
Denver saw three players finish with double digit kills led by Cassie Baird and Moni Corrujedo as the duo finished with 12 kills each. The Pioneers also recorded 12 service aces in the match to help sneak past the Golden Eagles.
Oral Roberts: Laura Milos finished with 22 kills while Jovana Poljasevic added 15 kills and a .583 hitting percentage in the loss.
Denver: Cassie Baird led the way with 1 kills and a .296 hitting percentage while Monique Domme finished with 43 assists.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU rallied back from a 2-0 deficit to win the third set 32-30. It was the most points the Golden Eagles have needed to win a set this season.
- ORU posted a .262 hitting percentage in the loss as it was the highest hitting percentage for the Golden Eagles this season since posting a percentage of .292 in a win over Miami.
- It was the second highest hitting percentage for ORU in a loss this season as ORU hit .274 against Missouri State.
- Laura Milos has recorded 20 or more kills in a match this season 12 times. It also continues a stretch for Milos who has posted 20 or more kills in seven of her last eight matches.
- Poljasevic posted a career high 15 kills with a .583 hitting percentage.
- Poljasevic added three blocks and now has 18 blocks in her last three matches.
- Sadie Schaffner finished with five blocks giving her 40 blocks and the season and four matches of five blocks or more.
- Denver leads the all-time series with ORU 3-0.
The Golden Eagles return home to face Western Illinois Sunday and begin a three-match homestand. First serve from the Aerobics Center is set for 2 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.