Score: Oral Roberts 3 – South Dakota State 2 (25-13, 21-25, 18-25, 25-18, 15-10)
Records: Oral Roberts (12-11, 6-4); South Dakota State (3-23, 2-8)
Location: Aerobics Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Sophomore outside hitter, Laura Milos, recorded a triple-double in a record setting effort to help push Oral Roberts past South Dakota State, 3-2, in Summit League volleyball action.
Milos tallied an impressive 12 service aces breaking the ORU and Summit League single-match record. The ORU record of 10 was previously held by head coach Sheera Sirola set Oct. 7, 1995 vs. Tulsa while a trio of players including Ori Zuzic of ORU held the conference record of nine. The sophomore finished with 25 kills and 11 digs to earn the triple-double.
The Golden Eagles took set one before the Jackrabbits took advantage of miscues from ORU. However, the Golden Eagles were able to right the ship including a .240 hitting percentage in the final set for a 25-13, 21-25, 18-25, 25-18, 15-10 victory.
Lucija Bojanjac earned a double-double as well finishing with 43 assists and 12 digs in the win.
South Dakota State was led by Ashley Beaner who posted 13 kills and a .455 hitting percentage for the Jackrabbits.
Oral Roberts: Laura Milos set a school record with 12 service aces while posting the first triple-double of her career with 25 kills, 12 service aces and 11 digs.
South Dakota State: Ashley Beaner finished with 13 kills while Lizzie Palmer added 23 digs for the Jackrabbits.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The excitement for Milos started at the end of the first set with six aces in her final seven serves as ORU finished on an 8-0 run to win the set.
- After dropping sets two and three, ORU busted out to a 12-2 lead in the fourth set. With a 22-15 lead the Golden Eagles held off a late rally from SDSU to win 25-18.
- The 21 total aces for ORU set a Summit League five-set match record and also set a national season high previously held by Fordham and Akron with 18. The total was one shy of the Summit League record for all matches of 22 set by ORU vs. St. Francis on Sept. 15, 2006.
- Milos finished with 12 service aces shattering the previous NCAA high of nine shared by Kayla Sears of Virginia and Jamie Kosiorek of Ohio. It was also the most in NCAA since 2011 when Jennifer Brandt of Nicholls State recorded 15 vs. Alcorn.
- The 12 service aces by Milos was also a Summit League record previously held by Bri Hewitt (IUPUI), Ori Zuzic (ORU) and Carol Newell (IUPUI) who all had tallied nine service aces.
- Milos now has finished with 20 or more kills in five straight matches and in 10 of her last 11.
- Milos recorded her first triple-double of the season while Bojanjac earned her 11th of the season and second straight.
- ORU sweeps the season series with SDSU and holds a 10-4 advantage in the all-time series. The Golden Eagles have also won four straight against the Jackrabbits.
ORU makes its final road swing as the Golden Eagles head east to take on IPFW and IUPUI Friday and Sunday. Friday's first serve will start at 6 p.m. (CST).
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.