Score: Denver 3 – Oral Roberts (25-20, 25-22, 21-25, 16-25, 15-11)
Records: Denver (25-6, 13-3); Oral Roberts (14-14, 8-7)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. – Aerobics Center
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team was unable to complete a five-set rally on senior night as Denver escaped with a 3-2 win Friday night in Summit League action.
The Golden Eagles struggled for a second consecutive match offensively, however their fight kept them in the match rallying back to win the third and fourth sets and force a fifth. Denver was able to edge ORU by a solid defensive performance in a 25-20, 25-22, 21-25, 16-25, 15-11 win.
Senior Sadie Schaffner shined as she was honored along with Jovana Poljasevic and manager Rebecca Roe. Schaffner was the only other Golden Eagle to finish with double figure kills adding 11 with three blocks.
The Pioneers got 12 kills each from Sarah Schmid and Nola Basey while the team finished with eight blocks.
Oral Roberts: Laura Milos posted 24 kills and 13 digs. Lucija Bojanjac tallied 41 assists and 14 digs.
Denver: Sarah Schmid finished with 12 kills and a .458 hitting percentage while adding three blocks and eight digs. Nola Basey finished with 12 kills and nine digs and also added three blocks.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- After dropping the first two sets ORU battled back to close out the third and fourth sets 25-21 and dominated the fourth set, 25-16.
- ORU hit above the .200 mark in the third and fourth sets while failing to rise above .150 in the first, second and fifth sets.
- Laura Milos recorded her 13th double-double and 21st of her career.
- Lucija Bojanjac earned her 14th double-double of the season and 25th of her career.
- Milos bounced back after missing the 20 kill mark for the first time in eight matches. With 24 kills she has now reached the 20 kill plateau in nine of her last 10 matches and 14 of her last 16.
- Milos now has 565 kills this season ranking fourth on the ORU single-season record books and fourth in The Summit League record books.
- Bojanjac is also 56 assists shy of cracking the ORU single-season record books top 10 for a second consecutive season.
- Bojanjac 2,505 career assists ranks sixth all-time in the ORU record books.
- Senior Sadie Schaffner posted a season-high 11 kills.
The Golden Eagles close the regular season at home Sunday against North Dakota State. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.