Score: Tulsa 3 - Oral Roberts 1
Records: TU (9-1) - ORU (6-5)
Location: Reynolds Center - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team dropped its tournament opener to the University of Tulsa Friday night at the Reynolds Center, 3-1 (25-12, 25-23, 23-25, 26-24).
The Golden Eagles (6-5) looked to push the match to a fifth and decisive set leading, 24-23, in the fourth, but Tulsa used a three-point rally to secure its seventh consecutive victory.
Tulsa (9-1) came out firing on all cylinders early, routing ORU, 25-12 in the first set while hitting .522 compared to the Golden Eagles' .034.
The Golden Eagle offense came to life in the second set, but came up just short of a set win, falling 25-23. It wasn't until the third set that Oral Roberts eclipsed the .300 attack percentage as juniors Shelby Cox and Laura Milos powered the team to a 25-23 win to force a fourth set.
The fourth set proved to be and offensive struggle as both teams' were held in the to below a .100 attacking percent. ORU looked to push the match to a final set leading 24-23 but TU's Haley Coulter and Erica Bohannon tallied a kill apiece to go on top before an attacking error sealed the match for Tulsa.
Inside the Box Score
- Laura Milos led ORU with 21 kills on the night. She eclipsed the 20+ kill mark for the fifth time in 2016.
- Shelby Cox finished with 10 kills while Lucija Bojanjac finished with 38 assists on the night.
- As a team, the Golden Eagles were outhit, .250 to .157
- Erica Bohannon led all players with 22 kills on 46 attempts. Brooke Berryhill tallied 30 digs for the Golden Hurricane.
- ORU now leads the all-time series with the Golden Hurricane, 59-20.
The Golden Eagles will continue the Tulsa Invitational Saturday when they face La Tech at 9 a.m. and Northwestern State at 5 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.