Score: Oral Roberts 3 – Purdue Fort Wayne 2
Records: ORU (8-15, 5-6 SL) – PFW (14-11, 5-6 SL)
Location: Aerobics Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – After the Oral Roberts volleyball saw its 2-0 set lead dissipate, the team responded behind six kills in the final set from CeCe Madison to win a five-set battle over visiting Purdue Fort Wayne (25-20, 25-19, 20-25, 19-25, 15-13) Friday night at the Aerobics Center.
With only 28 total points in the final set, the frame featured nine tie scores and five lead changes as neither team led by more than two points. Back-to-back kills from Madison followed by a Katarina Mikulic swing erased a one-point deficit and gave ORU a 13-11 cushion, a margin that held to the finish.
Four players posted double-doubles in the win as the Golden Eagles completed the season sweep of the Mastodons to move into a tie for fourth place in The Summit League standings. ORU forced the visitors into 19 hitting errors in the opening two sets, while using big runs to pull away and take a commanding lead.
The Purdue Fort Wayne offense came alive in the third and fourth frames as it turned the momentum of the match to even the score and force a final stanza. Madison took over in the fifth set as the junior tallied six of her team-high 19 kills, on just 12 swings, down the stretch securing the home victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Madison electrified the home crowd with 19 kills on a .280 hitting percentage and added a career-best 22 digs to earn the double-double.
- Bria Bergman evenly distributed the offense as three players had 10 or more kills behind the senior's effort. She registered 48 set assists and 17 digs for the night, while adding a career-high five block assists.
- Inka Inkret put together a 15-kill, 10-dig double-double and Mikulic used 11 kills and 14 digs for her sixth double-double this season.
- Bri Greenlee dominated the net totaling two solo blocks and six block assists as the Golden Eagles tallied 14.5 total blocks, including a perfect triple block during a 4-0 run in the second set.
- Tori Roe paced the ORU defense with 23 digs as five players reached double figures and the team finished with 90 total digs.
- The Golden Eagles won for the first time in a five-set match this season after dropping each of their first six.
ORU stays home to complete the weekend slate of Summit League contests hosting Western Illinois Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. Live video and stats available will be available on the ORU Sports Network at www.ORUAthletics.com.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.