Score: Oral Roberts 2 – Louisiana Tech 3
Records: ORU (0-1, 0-0 SL) – LAT (1-0, 0-0 CUSA)
Location: Johnson Coliseum (Huntsville, Texas)
HUNTSVILLE, Texas – The Oral Roberts volleyball team built a pair of one-set advantages before Louisiana Tech rallied back for the win (26-24, 23-25, 25-21, 19-25, 16-18) Friday afternoon at Johnson Coliseum in the opening match of the 2019 season at the 42nd Annual SHSU Invitational.
Senior CeCe Madison and freshman Laura Shoopman went swing for swing combining to register 40 of the team's 63 kills, behind 20 each, as the Golden Eagles claimed sets one and three to take the upper hand. The Lady Techsters responded by taking the final two stanzas and capitalized on their fourth match point in the decisive fifth set after a furious ORU comeback effort.
ORU scored five of the final six points to win the opening frame and six of the last eight in the third to take a 2-1 set lead over Louisiana Tech. The Golden Eagles fought off a five-point deficit in the fifth frame to make things tight down the stretch, but could not pull off the victory despite outing hitting the opposition .224 to .209.
Three Golden Eagles made their collegiate debuts as redshirt freshman Sylvia Lawson earned the start at setter, while Shoopman also started the match. Sakira LaCour opened set two and finished with seven kills.
Inside the Box Score
- Lawson closed the day with 50 set assists and 11 digs for the first double-double of her tenure.
- Madison reached 20 kills for just the second time with ORU and registered nine digs.
- Sarah Thiessen made the start at libero and posted a career-best 25 digs, her seventh time reaching double digits as a Golden Eagle.
- Bri Greenlee tallied three block assists, while Madison added a pair for the ORU defense.
- Eight different players recorded at least one kill for the Golden Eagles in the contest.
The Golden Eagles close their opening weekend of action with a pair of matches Saturday getting an early 9:30 a.m. start against Prairie View A&M. The finale features ORU and the host Bearkats of Sam Houston State at 6:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.