Match One Score: Prairie View A&M 0 – Oral Roberts 3
Records: PVAMU (0-2, 0-0 SWAC) – ORU (1-1, 0-0 SL)
Match Two Score: Oral Roberts 3 – Sam Houston State 1
Records: ORU (2-1, 0-0 SL) – SHSU (1-2, 0-0 Southland)
Location: Johnson Coliseum (Huntsville, Texas)
HUNTSVILLE, Texas – The Oral Roberts volleyball team swept a Saturday doubleheader taking down Prairie View A&M in straight sets (25-16, 25-16, 25-23) before an intense, four-set victory against host Sam Houston State (25-21, 29-27, 20-25, 25-23) at Johnson Coliseum in the 42nd Annual SHSU Invitational.
The Golden Eagles got the early morning match started behind an offensive onslaught against the Panthers hitting a blistering .364 in the opening set. The balanced attack, featuring five players with at least seven kills, kept the Prairie View A&M defense off balance in ORU's first victory of the 2019 campaign.
After taking a decisive four-point win against the Bearkats in set one, ORU fought back from a 24-20 hole and erased six set points against to take a 2-0 set lead winning 29-27. SHSU kept the match alive winning set three, but another late, come-from-behind effort by the Golden Eagles secured the decision on the road scoring nine of the final 12 points to complete the rally, 25-23.
Inside the Match One Box Score
- The Golden Eagles out-hit the Panthers by a wide, .271 to .055 margin, by forcing 22 attacking errors from their opponent with seven total blocks.
- Madison paced the offense with 11 kills, while Shoopman joined her teammate in double figures posting 10. Each player finished off a double-double performance behind 15 and 12 digs, respectively.
- Sylvia Lawson carried over her success distributing the ball from her ORU debut and tallied 38 set assists, five digs and two block assists.
- Inka Inkret and Sarah Thiessen also reached double figures in digs with 14 and 13, respectively, as the Golden Eagles averaged an incredible 22 digs per set in the contest.
- Inkret (9), Bri Greenlee (8) and Morgan Blomquist (7) rounded out the Golden Eagles output offensively.
Inside the Match Two Box Score
- Madison led the charge again posting a team-high 17 kills, 17 assists and four blocks hitting at a .349 clip.
- Inkret joined her in double figures adding 12 kills and had eight digs and was efficient all evening posting a .391 hitting percentage.
- Lawson put together a 46-assist, 11-dig double-double capping a fantastic opening week as ORU's starting setter.
- Thiessen's passing as the libero helped the Golden Eagles hit .255 for the match as the redshirt sophomore recorded 12 digs. Shoopman was another of ORU's four players with double-digit digs registering 15.
ORU will play the next five matches on its home court inside the Kenneth H. Cooper Aerobics Center over an eight-day stretch. The Golden Eagles host Missouri State for their home opener Sept. 3 at 6 p.m. with live coverage available on the ORU Sports Network featuring live video and stats.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.