Match One Score: Oral Roberts 2 – Central Arkansas 3
Records: ORU (4-7, 0-0 SL) – UCA (5-4, 0-0 Southland)
Match Two Score: Oral Roberts 1 – Ole Miss 3
Records: ORU (4-8, 0-0 SL) – MISS (6-3, 0-0 SEC)
Location: Farris Center (Conway, Ark.)
CONWAY, Ark. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team closed the 2019 UCA Invitational winning the opening set of both matches, but ultimately fell to Central Arkansas in five sets (25-20, 20-25, 24-26, 25-22, 10-15) and Ole Miss in four (25-22, 18-25, 11-25, 9-25) Saturday at the Farris Center.
Sylvia Lawson served the Golden Eagles to an 8-0 run that changed the momentum of the opening set, turning a three-point deficit into a 10-5 advantage over the Sugar Bears. After UCA claimed set two, ORU looked in control of the third stanza breaking an 18-18 tie with five-straight points, but the home side tallied eight of the final nine points to steal the set.
The Golden Eagles forced their sixth decisive fifth set in 2019 by hitting .375 in set four, but a 4-0 stretch by UCA in the final frame was too much to overcome.
In the finale, ORU built a 23-18 advantage on the Rebels and held on for a 25-22 win in the opening set getting incredible defense, but Ole Miss evened the match scoring 10 of the final 11 points in set two. The Rebels carried that momentum through the next two frames to close out the match in four sets.
Inside the Match One Box Score
- Madison came out firing in set one as the senior put away five kills on nine swings without an error for a .556 hitting percentage. The Midlothian, Texas, native went on to record a career-best 25 kills, while continuing to hit at a.321 rate.
- Laura Shoopman came on strong in the final frames hitting .400 for 10 kills.
- Sarah Thiessen finished with 19 digs, while Lawson registered 36 set assists.
- ORU dominated the net winning the blocking battle by a wide 11-4 margin thanks to two solo blocks from Madison and six block assists by Taylan Nero.
Inside the Match Two Box Score
- Lawson completed another double-double before the end of set two as the redshirt freshman had a 29-assist, 14-dig effort.
- Greenlee continued her increased role offensively as the senior posted 10 kills on 21 swings for a team-leading .381 hitting percentage.
- Madison closed out another double-double, her eighth of the season, behind 13 kills and 16 digs.
- Thiessen contributed 13 digs for the Golden Eagles defense.
ORU continues a tough stretch against power five opponents heading to the Diet Coke Classic hosted by the University of Minnesota Sept. 20-21 to face the Tigers of Clemson and Golden Gophers.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.