Score: Oral Roberts 1 – Clemson 3
Records: ORU (4-9, 0-0 SL) – CU (6-5, 0-0 ACC)
Location: Maturi Pavilion (Minneapolis, Minn.)
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – CeCe Madison put together a match-leading, 21-kill performance for the Oral Roberts volleyball team in a four-set loss to Clemson (14-25, 23-25, 25-23, 22-25) Friday evening at Maturi Pavilion in the 2019 Diet Coke Classic.
The Golden Eagles allowed the Tigers to score early in the match, but used a furious comeback bid late in set two to close the gap by picking up the intensity defensively. Clemson was able to hold off ORU in the stanza and take a 2-0 lead.
ORU won a battle in set three by out-hitting Clemson and holding onto a lead throughout the frame before a block by Bri Greenlee and Madison closed the set win. The Tigers built a margin the Golden Eagles could not recover from in the final frame, despite putting pressure on the ACC opponent down the stretch staving off three match points before falling 25-22.
Inside the Box Score
- Madison led all players with 21 kills, including eight in the victorious set three, and completed the double-double behind 13 digs. The senior tallied her fourth match this season with at least 20 kills and third in her last four outings.
- Sylvia Lawson tallied yet another double-double as the redshirt freshman finished with 40 set assists and 13 digs.
- Sarah Thiessen ended the night with a team-best 17 digs.
- ORU dominated the serving stats combining for a season-high seven aces getting two from Lawson and Taylan Nero.
- With replay capabilities inside Maturi Pavilion, Coach Sirola used her first challenge of the 2019 season on set point in the third stanza. The call was upheld as there was no touch detected on the Tigers block.
ORU plays its final match during the non-conference portion of the schedule Saturday night against national power Minnesota. First serve against the No. 7-ranked Golden Gophers is slated for 7 p.m. with video available for purchase on BTN Plus.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.